Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 9 months ago

Is apologizing bad or good?

I used to be close to a professor from my college for years we developed a strong bond. We are both gay women. However, we got in a small argument one day and I said something wrong and she went and blocked me from all social media channels. I didn’t see the need in this. I really miss her & was wondering if apologizing is worth it or not?

It sounds like she's not interested in an apology. Maybe after she cools down,

she'll see things differently. Probably, you should apologize.

As you admit YOU said something wrong, then of course you should apologise. It's up to her whether she accepts your apology or not, of course.

Always good. It is a good quality to apologize.

Professors shouldn't be on social media with students. End of discussion.

You should have apologized immediately. Too late now to rectify the situation. If you were wrong, you still should apologize, but don't expect to mend fences after so long.

you could try and then you'll know if it was worth it or not

• Squid

"worth it"? How can it be possible that something which costs you zero isn't worth it?

• Mark

It's usually good, but her reaction to what you said (assuming it wasn't something like "I am going to your relatives' houses and chop them all up when they are asleep") seems kind of over-the-top. If it truly was minor, good riddance to bad trash. (I've had arguments with people before and the most I have done is simply not talked to them for a week or so, no blocking, or anything like that.)

• Lili

Apologizing is good if you've done something wrong. If you have, you SHOULD apologize. Send her a note.

However, you need to be prepared for her to decide that she'd rather not renew the friendship.