Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 3 months ago

Can alcohol relieve strong pain? Is it as good as a prescription pain killer?

Update:

I have horrific pain on my right ribs. It all started due to a cough and I think bad sleeping positions. But yesterday a strong cough made it a million times worse. It hurts to breathe, move, and everything. OTC pain medicine and a heat pad isn't working, will alcohol do it? Like if I get really drunk

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    3 months ago
    Best answer

That might get you through the weekend IF YOU"RE NOT TAKING any other drugs.  if it ain't tolerable by Monday, doctor time.  You might even call now to get a monday appointment  

• Edna
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

The alcohol in several shots of Jack Daniels Black Label will probably make you feel as if it's relieving pain, but of course it won't be - but you'll no longer care if it is, or if it isn't...

The alcohol in rubbing alcohol won't do a thing to relieve pain. It's a disinfectant; it's not a pain reliever.

• In
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Alcohol only dulls the pain for a short period and does more harm than good, as my scarred liver can attest.

• Marc
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

It can relive pain but you have to consume a lot of it...an amount that would be unhealthy. Pain killers are dangerously addictive but alcohol is not, unless you are an alcoholic. You dont want alcohol for pain....

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

I guess you could drink yourself senseless and unconscious, but that would be dangerous. Not to mention the killer hangover afterwards, so no it's not as good as prescription pain killers.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

back in the day when it was the only painkiller available maybe. today there are far better pain killers

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

No. It is not made for that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.