Can I be fired for not responding to a text?

I was on-call a few days ago at work. I was asleep (45 minutes before my shift) and a text came in asking for 3 people to come in (I woke up 15 minutes later, 30 minutes before my on-call shift). When I checked the messages, 3 people had already responded saying they would be there. I disregarded the message. Today, I was pulled into the office and told if I did not respond again, I would be fired. If I was not called on the phone for an on-call shift, can I really be fired for not responding?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

You can be fired for any reason, yes.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

Yes, but it seems rather unfair since they were wanting only 3 people and they had their 3 and you showed up 1/2 an hour later anyway for your regular shift. Next time, respond regardless, and it won't be an issue.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Yes, you can be fired for not responding.

The correct action would have been "I just got your message, but I see three people already responded"

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

thats up to them, just explain you didnt hear the call when it rang

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ricky
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Companies can fire you for any reason outside of discrimination reason. They can fire you for no reason. When they fire you for an unreasonable reason, you will likely qualify for unemployment insurance. If they have a written policy that you have agreed to, not so much. Good news is in this country, you can quit and seek a better deal anytime you want. Depends on what you have to offer, you know, like reliability.

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Do they pay you for being on call? If not, you are not responsible to answer a text. I'm thinking you live in the USA, because in Canada there are labour laws that protect you from that kind of BS.

• W.T. Door
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

The applicable law in the USA is the Fair Labor Standards Act, and it does protect people from "on call for free" BS. .

• 9 months ago

Were you being paid while "on call"? If no then you need to talk to an attorney as there is a good chance your employer is violating the Fair Labor Standards Act.

I think it is also time to find another job.

• 9 months ago

It depend on where you live. Some states are "employment at will" states. In those states you can be fired for any reason, except for ones prohibited by federal laws. You can't be fired for being old, sexual orientation, etc... Watch American Beauty and the next time you turn the tables on them for severance. Also, you could say that they needed only 3 by the text and by the time that you saw it, 3 people replied. texting is not a real form of communication, so tell your boss that if he wants you there, then he should call to make sure that the message is received.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I doubt it if you just repli.

• 9 months ago

If you don't want to be fired write a strongly worded letter to the white house encouraging them to strike Israel and Iran with nuclear weapons.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.