jorge asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

Why do I have to to do reserve and then be eligible to switch over to active duty?

I am trying to join the marines but my recruiter says that because I have 2 kids and a wife I must do reserves for 2 years and that then I will be able to do active duty after doing the reserves for 2 years. Is that true?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ricky
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best answer

It’s been many years since I was in the reserves, and went on active duty. I’ve never of that. Your reserve time previously was considered “active duty for training”, and not Active duty. Looks like you’d lose 2 years. Doesn’t sound right. Try telling him you are considering the ARMY.

• jorge2 months agoReport

I just signed my documents over to an army recruit and she requested my MEPS documentation. Thanks. It didn’t sound right to me also, the army couldn’t even figure out why they would say such a thing.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

you have too many dependents to go Active duty in any Branch except the Army.   that being said, the chances of being granted permission to go AD from the Reserves in any branch is conceivably zilch

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In the Marine Corps, a waiver is required if an applicant has any dependent under the age of 18. So your recruiter is trying to pass you on to a Reserve recruiter so he doesn't have to do his/her job.

• 2 months ago

Very poor effort. I'm going to only award you a -2

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.