jorge asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 5 months ago

Do I get paid while at basic training in the marines.?

My recruiter Says that I will not receive my check while at basic. I will only receive my pay after I finish basic training and that my paycheck will be a lump sum as opposed to other branches that pay on the 1st and 15th of each month. Is this true?

You are paid for the time, but the ONLY time you have access to the funds is when you need to purchase items at the base store, and you are told EXACTLY what to purchase.

You earn your salary from Day 1 but won't have an opportunity to spend it.

• AJ

You will get paid while in Boot Camp. However, it will be in the form of Direct Deposit into your checking account. You will only need about $10 a week while in Boot Camp for haircuts, personal hygiene, and personal items.

• STEVEN F

You don't need SQUAT for those purposes.

• Mrsjvb

for the Marines, mostly true.  you get a small sum mid way through and the rest is direct deposited after Cruicible.  although in reality,  its not really that different from everyone else as it does take 6-8 weeks for the first pay to be deposited.  with Marine Boot Camp being 13 weeks long, you aren't  actually that far behind when you factor in the mid  way pay.  

Not true, or at least it's partially true. It can take 1 to 2 paydays for your pay to be straight. You’ll setup a Pacific Marine Bank account when you go to boot camp, and your pay will be deposited twice a month in your account. After boot camp, you can use a bank of your choice. They don't withhold all your pay until after bootcamp, you just won't have access to all of it.

• Bill-M

That is partially true.  You get some money at boot camp.

You will have NO NEED for money at boot.

During boot.....you got to a store to buy essentials, the cost of which are deducted from your first paycheck.

Keep in mind, no one issues checks anymore. Everything is direct deposit-----directly into an account you will set up. The Military is paid twice monthly......1st and the 15th. ......but only your first direct deposit......could take longer due to paperwork and getting everyone squared away.

After that, it will be deposited like clockwork.

I guess he would (or should) know. Sounds odd that they would expect you to go 2 months without pay. What if you need something from the PX?? When I was in the Army, we got a partial pay within a week of arriving @ basic. And after that, we got paid the end of each month. I think I only had $20 bucks in my billfold when I arrived there.

If that’s what you where told yes.