Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 8 months ago

Landlord and Security Deposit?

I recently got my final invoice for my security deposit. My landlord deducted $200 from my deposit for "time at $25.00 per hour" for inspection, 4 hours of open house, and administrative duties. Is that legal?? Michigan

We did leave before the lease was up but we paid for a whole month and left before the month was us. They had it rented to others a week after we moved out. (Which we paid for that whole month)

Since you left early, you might be on the hook for the costs of finding a replacement...

The inspection seems to be a little much, but I'd be happy only losing the $200 to be honest.

The inspection and open house charges are completly wrong. The admin duties also seem wrong but he could, technically, charge you if he paid this money to someone else to oversee cleaning the place or something. I suspect the whole thing is wrong. You may have to take him to small claims court to get yoru $200 back but at least you have proof that he owes it to you.

• R P

You left before your lease was up. The landlord is allowed to charge you for the costs associated with finding a new tenant.

Source(s): FL landlord

No, it is not. Challenging it in court is your only recourse.

• Eva

He cannot charge you any of those expenses. Those are normal costs of doing business.

He cannot deduct for that UNLESS you left before the end of your lease or did not give proper notice. Otherwise that is just his cost of doing business.

No he can't charge for that.

Did you refuse to allow him entry in the last month that you were there, in order to inspect and show the place to prospective tenants? Without knowing the circumstances, I can't tell you, because I don't know.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Judy

no....................................

LANDLORD AND TENANT RELATIONSHIPS (EXCERPT)

Act 348 of 1972

554.607 Security deposit; permissible uses.

Sec. 7.

A security deposit may be used only for the following purposes:

(a) Reimburse the landlord for actual damages to the rental unit or any ancillary facility that are the direct result of conduct not reasonably expected in the normal course of habitation of a dwelling.

(b) Pay the landlord for all rent in arrearage under the rental agreement, rent due for premature termination of the rental agreement by the tenant and for utility bills not paid by the tenant.