Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 8 months ago

Struggling with fatigue since switching to overnights... Any suggestions?

My shift is 22:00 thru 06:00. I am generally able to fall asleep immediately upon arriving home, but no matter how long I sleep for, I still feel tired. On many days, I either sleep until it is time to return to work, or at least need a couple hour nap before I head in.

On my days off, I basically don't wake up. I also feel very sick on my days off; experiencing dull headaches and stomach pains.

I am struggling for what I can do to improve my situation. My sleeping space is very dark and quiet, but even still I'm not overcoming my fatigue.

Some people can never adjust to working nights, you might need to look for a new job. Try switching your routine, eat a nice meal when you get home then do some yard work, work out, go for a run or just do things around the house and don't go to bed until late afternoon. Sleeping before work might feel more normal to your body.

The issues you are having may not even be work related.

There are several medical conditions which would cause the symptoms you describe... like Diabetes or Depression, just to name two.

My suggestion would be to visit your doctor and thoroughly explain what you are experiencing and have him/her rule out any possible medical issues. If it turns out your clear of any medical issues, then you can consider your work environment and what possible changes you can make to that.

With change of shift did you change your diet as well ? Like ..instead of bacon and eggs now you eat cereals ... just because now you feel too tired to fry eggs . Maybe you drink more coffee ? Changing shift from my experience does not create problem in itself ,but change of eating habits that usually come with different shift.

low blood sugar levels gives fatigue imho

mix 2 teaspoon of sugar in a glass of water

and drink it before going to bed

sugar turns to glucose in the body

and nourishes the muscles thus removing

fatigue