JSG asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

When did the Mac vs. PC war officially begin?

Hi. I have a handful of questions I want to ask about the Mac vs. PC war but I want to be clear about when the war began.

I know IBM and Microsoft have been feuding with each other for decades.

Please help- thank you.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

1984 when the MAC came out.

• 2 months ago

IBM and Microsoft feuding has nothing to do with Macintosh computers, an Apple product. And IBM made PCs. Microsoft makes the operating systems for PCs.

The 'war' between Apple and non-Apple computers began in January 1984 with Apple's release of the first Macintosh. The now famous '1984' TV commercial that aired nationally during the Super Bowl in January (it aired in a few small markets on New Year's Eve 1983 so that it could qualify for 1983 awards; they knew they had something big) was a take-off on Orwell's '1984'. A female runner carrying a hammer - she is shown in color - runs through a gray, drab, uninspired setting passing gray, drab, uninspired human forms, and hurls her hammer into a huge screen bearing an image of a 'Big Brother'-like figure, shattering it.

The message was that the Macintosh was going to shake things up, challenging conformity/Big Brother/IBM. And it succeeded.

So I don't know what feud there was between IBM and the company that made the OS that ran on its machines and the IBM clones, unless IBM had its own software it thought was better and fought to keep it. You can research that aspect if you want.

• John P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As with all commercial "wars" there is no date that can be specified absolutely. Especially in the case of Mac versus PC, since Mac is one company, but PCs are and were produced by several companies.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

January 22, 1984 Apple declared war with their famous "1984" Superbowl commercial. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_(advertisement)

Until then it was just comercial competition. But Steve Jobs and Apple decided to make it into a crusade, with that commercial.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

IBM and Microsoft is a different dispute (a punch up over OS/2)

to the one between Microsoft and Apple Macintosh for alleged plaigiarism..

• 2 months ago

1960s ...............

• 2 months ago

It began on April 1, 1976.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

When Apple sued Microsoft for ripping off Apple's Macintosh OS with the Windows OS in 1988. The suit was eventually thrown out when it emerged that most of the features of the WIMP environment were not original to Apple but came from Xerox. I suppose you could go back to 1981 when IBMs first appeared with the PC-Dos (by Microsoft) in a deal which allowed them to produce clones with other manufacturers than being exclusively tied to Big Blue. Apple at that time had its Mk III model which was not a commercial success. Macintosh, introduced in 1984, was a gamechanger and consumers either went with that or the cheaper PCs (IBM Compatibles as they were still known) with the clunky MS DOS. Choice was largely determined by what programs was available for each platform. So graphic designers would go for Mac (for desk top publishing packages) but engineering stuff like Autocad were mostly on PCs. Ironically the best selling wp package on Macintosh was Microsoft Word.

• JSG2 months agoReport

Windows is a MICROSOFT app.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.