Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 8 months ago

Is it safe to only gain 15 pounds in total during pregnancy?

My BMI wasn't overweight before my pregnancy. I was at the higher end of "normal" on the BMI but still not in the overweight or obese range. I started at 145 pounds before my pregnancy and the last time I got weighed I was 150 pounds at the doctors office (but I ate, drank water etc before getting weighed) I have no idea how much I weigh now but hopefully I didn't gain too much. i only want to weigh 160 by 9 months.

• Tulip

You need to discuss this with your doc not Yahoo morons

This is a normal amount of weight gain for a healthy, full term pregnancy:

7 1/2 pounds is about how much the baby will weigh by the end of pregnancy.

1 1/2 pounds is how much the placenta weighs.

4 pounds is attributed to increased fluid volume.

2 pounds is the weight of the uterus.

2 pounds is the weight of breast tissue.

4 pounds is because of increased blood volume.

7 pounds is attributed to maternal stores of fat, protein, and other nutrients.

2 pounds for the amniotic fluid.

Total: 30 pounds

If you are intentionally dieting while pregnant, your body will suffer, and your baby likely will as well.

You will gain more than 15 pounds.

You would need to talk to YOUR doctor about how much weight is acceptable.

This would be an excellent question for your doctor.

Is it safe to deliberately over-diet to keep weight gain low during pregnancy? No. Is it safe to naturally only put on 15 lbs during pregnancy while maintaining a healthy diet and activity? Usually.

This is something to discuss with your doctor. If he/she is concerned about your weight gain and overall health, he/she will tell you and discuss options.

• MissA

It's almost certainly *not* safe. A woman of normal weight before pregnancy should probably gain at least 25 pounds.

Sometimes when you have a preexisting eating disorder the changes your body undergoes during pregnancy can make you feel worse about yourself. So... seek help. For your baby's sake as much as your own.

• Pippin

While some women naturally gain little weight during pregnancy, and women who are significantly obese may be encouraged to gain less -- intentionally starving yourself to keep your weight gain to about half the expect gain isn't good for you OR your baby. You are pregnant -- NOT fat.

EDIT: Incidentally, back in the day, women were often told to strictly limit weight gain in pregnancy -- but even then 15-20 pounds was the usual recommendation, not 10-15. And if they gained 'too fast' they would be put on strict diets. (The scientists added up the weight of the baby, placenta and fluid, and assumed that anything else was just 'useless fat' that would end up making women less attractive to their husbands.) The result was a lot of low birthweight babies.

I'm not criticizing you but I think you should focus your attention on the development of your baby, not on your weight. You can lose whatever you gain regardless of how much you gain. Obsessing over it will not help you or your unborn child.