Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 5 months ago

Would my estranged husband be able to enter my new home if he has never lived in it?

I just got a new home for my brothers family and mine, minus estranged spouse. I had separate assets pre-marriage and purchased the land from that with the clear intent for him to NOT move in. Dower rights waived. He is kissing butt (it s a pattern) believing he can weasel back into the family. Doesnt want to "get it" and thinks he can come and go as he pleases despite very angry demands to not do so. Like, I say leave and he smiles and tries to "sweetly?" Say ok and try to walk in. Like wtf? Bye!? Restraining order? Hello?

I have 2 children from a previous relationship. He has an explosive temper over non existent "events" (i.e. I m 3 minutes later then usual, must have had sex w/ coworker in parking lot) or exploding when asked where $400 cash went and causing overdrafts. Absolutely ridiculous and crazy psycho. Told me to kill myself, went on a rampage over a dropped call, stated he would beat my kids if he felt like it, etc... Found out he has been doing pills, smoking weed and God knows what else, while I m working at a prison nonetheless. On top of that, an issue of gluttony... constantly ordering and eating whole pizzas and 2 liters in a single sitting when there isnt money for it and food in the frig... make a salad? Since I got this job he has been acting like we are rich all of a sudden on a low mid class income and partying while I m away... So, of course I got out of dodge.... or trying to ditch satan at least. Police wont do anything until violence occurs

Did you buy the land while married? In the US he would have rights.

Have you filed legal separation or divorce papers? Because that's all it takes. The police WILL enforce your right to privacy and personal solvency when YOU take the steps to make it legal that you don't want him in your life or home. It's not a matter of "because I say so"... it's a matter of "because the law says so". Regardless, no.. he does not have the legal right to break into or demand entrance to your home. Unless he gets the law to say so. But not on his say so either.

• mmm

ok - I'm confused - why have you not filed for divorce?

why would the police do anything - you two are married?

if he is estranged how did he get in? how did he get access to your cash?

if you want him out - file for divorce - sounds like you've gotten yourself in a real mess - as you two are still married and that is joint property

If you're merely "estranged" and not legally divorced (and depending on the laws of your state) he might actually be a part owner in this new property you bought. You need to talk to a lawyer, STAT. His behavior is irrelevant as to whether this property would be considered part of your joint marital assets.

• kt20155 months agoReport

It is pending, he waived rights to my personal savings and the house at time of sale. But now is acting like he has been invited in when that isnt the case. Mental illness maybe? Hardcore denial? Idk. Our police are worthless

Of course people cannot enter a residence that is not theirs without being invited in - ex husband of not. You need to tell him in no uncertain terms - including in writing/email, that he is not welcome there, and he is certainly not allowed to enter your residence without an invitation or permission. Next time he does so you will call the cops and have him charged with trespassing, illegal entry, burglary, whatever. Then follow through.

• boj

If you didnt legally separate he can make your life more of a living hell because you will have to prove home was purchased with funds pre-marriage. If hes so bad you should've divorced him long before purchasing home,

• kt20155 months agoReport

I only recently had the funds and started the process, without him of course, prior to him going nutso on me

Ask a lawyer where you live!