Fluent speakers of English, I need your help with my English?

I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good as I'm not a native speaker. Should I change these lines to make it sound more natural? I'd appreciate any answers. The events in St. Mary's town reached their climax the next morning, when a squad of 200 Russian solders arrived from a... show more I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good as I'm not a native speaker. Should I change these lines to make it sound more natural? I'd appreciate any answers.

The events in St. Mary's town reached their climax the next morning, when a squad of 200 Russian solders arrived from a neighboring region and conducted what turned out to be a bloody massacre.
Flinging around their whips and swords, they scattered the crowd of armless people.
The locals fought back with flails, bludgeons and stones.
The soldiers raided the church on their horses, destroying everything around them.
The most horrendous events took place near St. John's River.
As they were being pushed by the soldiers, people tried to escape by delving into the flooded river covered in thin ice.
Those who were more strong managed to escape but several women drowned.
The solders raged across the town, beating men, raping women and stealing properties.