I appealed (Reconsideration) of Social Security Medicare back payment of premiums. What next?

I appealed (Reconsideration) Social Security taking a large lump-sum back payment of Medicare premiums because the state stopped paying the premium of which I was unaware. What do I do now. This will cause an EXTREME hardship for me.

• Judith

You wait until you receive the decision. Read and do what it tells you to do if you disagree with the decision.

However your appeal will be denied. You had the coverage. It was there for you to use regardless of who was or wasn't paying the premiums. You could avoid the premiums only if you had requested that your Medicare be terminated, which isn't the case. Even had you terminated it you could only sign up again, at a higher premium rate, in Jan through March (the general enrollment period) and the Medicare coverage would have been effective the following July.

I don't understand why you weren't aware of it - don't you read the notices you receive? I find it hard to believe that the state didn't advise you that they were no longer paying your premiums. My friend's mother had the same thing happen to her only she read her notice from the state, unlike yourself.

Perhaps you should visit your nearest SS office - maybe you can pay the premiums in installments. I don't know if that is possible but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

What do you do now?

Wait to see if your appeal is accepted. Don't expect it to be.

The concept of it causing you extreme hardship really doesn't matter.

You are either eligible for medicaid or you aren't. If you are, then you don't have to pay the medicare premiums. It you aren't, then you are required to pay the medicare premiums. Why would you think you shouldn't have to?