Is a funeral compulsory when someone dies?

If a loved one dies and had stated they didn't want a funeral and just be buried, is this possible? We actually don't have any friends, relatives or work colleagues that can come to a funeral.

Is it possible to just obtain death certificates and arrange and pay for the burial?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Best answer

The funeral is a personal preference, not required, embalming is not required unless the person dies out of state and wants to be buried in another state, then a body must be embalmed before it crosses state lines

You will need a casket for burial even on your own property. When the funeral director takes the body from where it died, you will tell them what you want done (embalming-no embalming-services-no services) they will issue you a death certificate before the body is buried, and most will even assist with life insurance, social security issues (if any).

You will still have to pay some funeral home expenses even if no services were conducted such as body pick up, Storage, transportation to the cemetery, paperwork (death certificate fees) and any other state required paperwork.

This type of burial is pretty common these days, and it saves $7000-$8000 and if there is nobody to attend, then it is truly a waste of money. Funerals are done for the survivors not the deceased.

The funeral director will try to talk you into a lot of unnecessary stuff, because the type of service you are wanting makes him very little money. If you still do not want a public showing, he will try to sell you the most expensive casket he has or can get (huge mark up). But remember this, they all leak so do not fall for that stay dry business, and if he tries to sell you a sealing casket with a rubber gasket that seals when the lid is closed, no not fall for that either. Those caskets will make the remains inside explode because there is no way for the natural gasses to escape causing the body inside to basically blow apart (they will want to charge you almost a $1000 more for this type of casket)

For what I understand you want, you want a simple burial, no frills, no viewing, just burial.

You will have to check with the cemetery because they may require all burials be completed with a burial vault, a vault prevents the ground from collapsing around the grave causing uneven ground, plus prevents the weight of the earth from over time destroy the casket because of the weight of the dirt laying on it, it also prevents critters from getting to the body, and ruining the scenery and makes it hard to maintain (lawnmowers, etc), so check with the cemetery. They are not state required, but maybe locally or cemetery required.

In some states you can bury a person on your own land, but that requires embalming, and local approval. The burial can not be near a water source, school, etc. Your local government could give you the requirements if you want to go that route and save a couple thousand dollars on a plot.

Source(s): Family in the funeral home business for over 30 years
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't have to have a funeral as long as you obey all the local laws on the disposal of the deceased. Doris Day famously passed recently leaving instructions that there was to be no funeral, no fanfare and just a simple burial.

• 2 months ago

No some people donate to science

• 2 months ago

Absolutely. You must be legally disposed of, but beyond that, nothing is required.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In what country or state? They're all different.

But I would be pretty confident that there is nowhere where a funeral service is compulsory, because how do you define what it is? There will only be law that says the body must be properly disposed of.

For example, in the UK, the body must be buried in a designated cemetery or graveyard, or it can be anywhere else the local authority approves of (not too near a river), or it must be cremated in a coffin at a licensed crematorium. That's all. In fact my local crematorium has an early slot most days for an unattended cremation, and this is less than half price compared with cremation plus time in the chapel for a funeral.

• 2 months ago

Not at all compulsory, no.

• Eva
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Of course it's possible. A funeral or memorial service is completely optional.

• 2 months ago

I can think of nowhere that has a law requiring a funeral. When my mother died, we had her laid out for about 4 hours for everyone to say a last, "Good by, Mom" and the next day she was buried. That's what she wanted and that's what she got.

• 2 months ago

A funeral ceremony is not compulsory at all, as long as long as the death is legally recorded and the body properly disposed of according to local regulations. A funeral director could advise you on those matters.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, you don't have to have a funeral.

My elderly mother always said she didn't want any sort of funeral or gathering

She also, in advance many years ago, arranged with a cremation service to be cremated when she died.

So, that's what happened. When she passed, the assisted living facility where she was called the cremation people. They even took care of getting death certificates for me.

There was no funeral of any kind.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.