How do senior citizens cope if they are no longer able to drive a car?

I am 70-years-old and a lifelong resident of San Francisco. I have never own a car in my entire life. Instead, I rely on public transit to take me wherever I want to go.

• Janet

I can drive. But it would take all my discretionary money to own a car, and I like having money to play with

I take the bus and live in a city where the bussing is excellent and seniors pay next to nothing.

When I retired, I sold my car. Thought I could always take a cab when needed. I have taken a cab 3 times in 5 years. The busses work just fine.

Seniors who cannot drive or own a car, need to move to where the bussing is good.

• Observer

Seems strange that some people thing that just because you cannot drive you need to move. More cities that have had very poor bus service are starting to expand., but It should not require someone to move for transportation sake.

• Edna

In the town and surrounding area where I live, if a senior citizen can no longer drive a car, then he has to find a friend or relative who is willing to drive him to and fro, or else he stays home.

In this area, there are no trains, buses, Uber or Lyft, or taxis. - there's no public transportation AT ALL! EVERYONE is dependent upon their auto for transportation.

Most seniors who live in these small towns can't afford to move to a large city where public transportation is available. The cost of living in a large city is 5 times greater than living in a small town.

they get put on hospice

If I found I was losing the ability to drive to the grocery store, a number of my children and grandchildren would already have asked me to move in with them. I would choose the one that suited me best, the same as we did for our parents.

• P.L.

I have never had a car but did have a motorbike for a few years. For the last 30 or so years I have walked or taken buses.

They suck it up and live with it.

Duh...

Source(s): what else?
  • Judith

When the time comes that I can no longer drive, I will use my city's "Go" bus which picks people up and drops them off wherever they want to go in the city. Most people pay by the month but you can pay per trip. I would also use a cab or uber and, of course, friends and relatives are helpful. As it is, my friends pick me up when we get together for lunches.

While I like the luxury of having my own car, transportation without one isn't a concern of mine. It will be covered.

I still drive. I refuse to take uber. I hear a lot of stories on the news about them raping or killing people.

• ted

And what do you do when the day comes when you are no longer able to operate a motor vehicle?

taxi, uber, bus 

• Mark

They take public transport, or if they conveniently live in a rural area, they ask a younger person to take them into town to by groceries and such.

• Bob

They do what you do