Vaginal exam in early pregnancy?

I have just found out that I am 6weeks and 2 days pregnant, and I have scheduled my first doctors appointment.... I’m scared because I really don’t know anything about pregnancy and as a 19 year old I’m nervous of what to expect, I live in the Uk, and am wondering what happens in the first prenatal appointment? Do you have an ultrasound or like online it says a pelvic exam or something but I don’t know what that is, and I’m very private when it concerns my genitals, I understand that towards the end of the pregnancy I’ll have to be more open but I’m wondering if there are any sorts of vaginal exams that HAVE to be done in the first couple appointments? Or just anything about the first couple appointments would help a lot thanks x

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

Honey, get ready for your dignity to be thrown out the window. You'll never feel so poked and prodded in your life as you will going through pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum, and you're just going to have to suck it up and deal. Babies are cute, but pregnancy is anything but pretty.

As far as first trimester vaginal exams go, the only things your OB *might* want to do is a transvaginal ultrasound (to accurately determine where you are in gestation as well as check for viability by confirming a heartbeat), and possibly a pap smear if you haven't had one in a while. You as the patient have the right to refuse either test... but if you plan to do that you're not going to get just a whole lot out of your appointment beyond being handed a stack of pamphlets. Your OB may also want to do a blood draw to confirm your blood type, check for anemia and STIs, and check immunity factors. If you're offered a flu shot at your appointment, get it. The flu during pregnancy is NOT fun, and can be dangerous to you and baby both.

• claire5 months agoReport

Thank you so much, this was very helpful xx

At the first prenatal appointment they do a pap smear and pelvic exam. It's not pleasant at all but a part of being a woman and pregnant. I do not like anyone looking at my private area either but usually after getting the pap smear and pelvic exam out of the way on the first appointment, they don't really bother you again with wanting to see it until you're closer to the end of your pregnancy. They might want to check you for dilation but I got annoyed with dealing with that every week and told them to **** off until I was in active labor so they did. I'll tell you one thing. Once you're in active labor you lose any dignity you have. At that point I didn't care who saw my lady parts down there. I just wanted the baby out.

• Jeni

For my first visit, they used a vaginal probe internal ultrasound to confirm pregnancy. A new OB would most likely do an exam. After that there is no more till your 3rd trimester. They also test urine and do bloodtests at some point early on.

• Edna

You can throw all your "shyness" out the door when you're pregnant.

You're concerned about a simple thing like a vaginal exam in early pregnancy? Yes -- you'll have a vaginal exam, at least the first time you see your doctor. For one thing, he'll want to take a look at your cervix, in order to determine that you ARE pregnant.

HA! Just wait until you're in active labor and the doctor comes in and sticks his finger into your rectum, in order to check the position of the baby. Or when he examines you vaginally while you're in labor, to determine how far you've dilated. Or when you're "pushing" and you squeeze out a little excrement, and the nurse just wipes it up.

• Tri-Harder

And finally, as I said, heart rate monitor is least accurate (but still better than a rectal exam). I never said irregular heartbeat indicated anything.

A full pelvic is done at the first visit, as well as other times throughout the pregnancy. Normally every week during the last month. Ultrasound not till you are several months along.

• Edna

Here is Pippin once again - the "lactation specialist" who knows SO much about what a woman who is pregnant and in labor these days can expect.

No, they just take your family history filling in a long and boring form, and take a blood sample.

• Edna

If the doctor didn't examine you on your first visit, how would he know if your were pregnant?

No ultrasound. You get asked a ton of questions about your family history, his family history, genetic diseases, allergies, etc. You are weighed, blood taken. The ultrasound is a separate appointment that happens when you're 12 weeks pregnant. You don't have any vaginal exams during your pregnancy, so don't worry about that... The only exception to that could be if they can't get a clear enough picture of the baby at the first ultrasound (make sure your bladder is full, they need you to have that) then they do an internal scan - using a wand thing. But I think that's very rare. Normally they can get a clear enough view externally.

• claire5 months agoReport

Thank you xxx

• Pippin

Not sure how you managed to get pregnant if you are that private about your vagina.  Surely there was SOMETHING put into it at SOME point.  About a month ago, in fact.

You can normally refuse any tests you don't want, and it doesn't look like pelvic exams are routine in the UK, but since you have clearly never had one, the doctor may well recommend it. 

You will need to get used to being less private.  You are having a baby, and that's what matters.  Your doctor or midwife cannot examine you under a sheet.

• GB

It's possible to conceive a baby in the dark. But if she's so 'private' then she should have used birth control.