Repair or replace?

I have an HP laptop that I maybe 2 or 3 years ago, possibly 4. The computer will only turn off it's plugged into the charger. The battery is essentially done, won't hold a charge any longer. But, however, it's been running slowly for quite some time. My boss told me since I don't really remember when I got it, it's probably wiser to buy a newer one.

I also have a Kindle Fire (my daughter's that she got last year) is not taking a charge. I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing is working. Could be the battery, too. But is it worth repairing either of these devices? She hasn't been able to get into her homework apps because of these issues, and the app isn't compatible on my phone.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Replace, replace but it wouldn't hurt if you gave away those gadgets to someone who can actually fix and maintain them.

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can usually get a generic laptop battery that works well for $30, if you've got a laptop with a replaceable battery.

The laptop seeming slow is probably either being loaded down with lots of programs running in the background, or overheating. You can look at what's using the CPU or using lots of RAM in the processes tab in Task Manager. Sort the list by CPU usage, RAM usage, drive usage, etc. If something's got weirdly high usage, look into what it is.

Tools like Speccy will show you the computer's temperatures, dust and dead fans can make it overheat which will slow things down.

After looking into that, I'd just upgrade the laptop's hard drive to an SSD for $30 at the minimum and you'd be surprised how faster it seems.

But all this does depend on how old it is.

What CPU does it have? What's the max RAM it can have? What OS is it running? Can it be upgraded to Windows 10? A 4 year old laptop should be perfectly usable still.

• Fulano
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Ya, I'd probably repair it if it were me. But I've also got lots of practice cleaning up old machines.

• Eva
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Run disk cleanup on your laptop and get a new battery. I had to replace mine in about 3 yrs. and it runs fine with the new one. It's probably cheaper to replace the Kindle than get another battery for it, but you might want to have a computer tech look at it first.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Planned obsolescence. The batteries are probably shot. If you can, just replace the battery. Make sure that you don't buy products that you can't change the battery in in the future. Some states are beginning to pass right to repair laws to combat this unethical behavior by tech companies. In my book, it should be flat out illegal to sell a product with a battery that can't be easily replaced by the consumer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.