Anonymous

How would you diplomatically remind your boss at your job to approve your employee mileage reimbursement?

My boss has fallen behind few months behind in approving my mileage reimbursement. This had happened a few times in the past. He even apologized in the past. This time, he has fallen behind 4 months. The amount is not very large, but still matters to small employees like myself. I feel like I'm in a bind. I must try to maintain a good relationship with my boss, and yet I need my mileage reimbursement. If this gets resolved this time, the chances are it will happen again down the road. How would you recommend that I approach this issue diplomatically w/o getting on my boss' nerve? Your advises are appreciated.

To all who responded, I've tried email reminder in the past, but why do I have to keep reminding him? It's not that I feel bad about asking for my money. I don't want him to get any impression that I'm pestering him or nagging him. If he does, it can affect bigger amount of money down the road in case the business relationship turn wrong way. Are there anyone in management at their job on this board? I'd like to get the opinion on from the other side of the table from the managers.

Sprinkle thumb tacks on his chair and set his office on fire.

The next time you see him, hand him the form and tell him you keep forgetting to get this signed. Next time, catch him at the end of every month. Doing it on a regular basis won't be so awkward.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

Email him a daily reminder, every morning. Put it on his calendar. Squeaky wheels get the grease.

Your feeling bad about asking is the reason he doesn't care. Tell him this is important.

How hard can it be to ask him or send an email?

When I got a raise, it did not come instantly and I did not even bring it up because I knew he had more pressing matters. He later told me he backdated my raise to when it was supposed to be so my next check contained extra.

I did not get mileage but my boss did, he had to send an expense report in monthly and they reimbursed it.

"Hey boss. Friendly reminder that I've got some mileage reimbursements out there that need your approval. Thanks!"

• DEBS

It should take him 5 minutes to approve at most. You shouldn't be feeling bad telling him to give you your money. I would just tell him it's starting to add up and not be insignificant to your pocketbook.

Then ask him if there is a different way you can have this set up so that you two can avoid the extra work. Can you get an allowance or pre-paid card so that this isn't out of your pocket? You'd still be required to submit your mileage against it, but you wouldn't be waiting months to get paid.

For me, if my manager didn't respect me enough to allow 4 months of expenses to backup, I'd be looking for another job.

If it were my boss, I'd just write, "Mileage reimbursement reminder. Please and thanks!" with a smiley face and stick it right on his computer monitor. In no way would he be pissed off. He would probably be mortified that it's taken so long.

Your boss sounds like he might be a douche canoe. :-(

I don't understand what is the problem with getting his approval. Just tell him you need to get reimbursed and cannot until he approves it. The next time you are asked to use your vehicle tell whoever asks that you need the money in advance.

Shoot him an email... Hey, "name" just wanted to check on the status of my milage reimbursment.. looks like I've got about 4 months worth due.

Thanks!