Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 8 months ago

About travelling?

I have dual citizenship. I came to Switzerland with my American passport as I was visiting friends (and the other had expired). At the same time, my Swiss passport needed to be renewed. I got it done. The thing is, the lady stamped my American passport not realizing I have both citizenships. I plan to visit other countries. After Switzerland, Israel & then Romania. What passport should I use? Does anyone know what is required?

If you mean you presented your US passport to Swiss immigration when you entered Switzerland then you need to exit the Schengen area BEFORE the 90th day using your US passport. Do that even if it is not part of your travel plans. It can be any non-Schengen country. Then re-enter the Schengen area using your Swiss passport.

In the future when traveling to Europe from the USA you:

Show both passports to the airline check in agent and ensure they understad you are a US citizen but you will enter Europe using your Swiss passport.

Show only your Swiss passport to Immigration when entering Europe.

Show your Swiss passport when asked for ID in Europe.

On the way back to the USA you again show both passports to the airline check in agent.

Show only your Swiss passport to Immigration when exiting.

Show only your US passport to Immigration when entering the USA

You should use your Swiss passport when traveling within Europe, even though Switzerland is not a member of the EU.

If I had both Swiss and USA citizenships and I was visiting anywhere in the Middle East as a tourist - including Israel - I would probably use my Swiss passport.

the lady stamped my American passport not realizing I have both citizenships.

WHICH LADY ?

Did you specify you had TWO citizenships or wanted to play the half and half game at the Passport control.

TOO BAD for you when you want to pretend not to be  a full SWISS citizen while in Switzerland.

You play half and half when NOT in USA or Switzerland.

It can be easily fixed when you depart Switzerland with your USA passport.

Do not recommend you pretend to be SWISS when you try to renter the USA. US citizens are expected to show their US documentation as they are 100% US citizen while in the USA.

Passport for the plane is passport for the plane.Airplane is not passport control place.

• Lily8 months agoReport

I didn't pretend. I called the consulate prior to leaving to have it renewed there. They agreed. But, I wanted things to be done right. I wanted to travel on a passport that was up to date, not expired. Keep in mind it was my first solo flight. Thanks for being understanding.

Always enter your country of citizenship on that country's passport or you are subject to visa regulations! It was really dumb to allow your Swiss passport to expire, and dumber to enter Switzerland on any passport other than currently valid Swiss passport if you are a citizen of Switzerland. You became subject to visa regulations for US citizens, and nothing you can do about it. No currently valid Swiss passport = no entry to Switzerland as a Swiss citizen. You need to use your US passport when you exit Switzerland, and be sure to exit before visa/visa-waiver expires!

Generally, dual-nationals enter foreign countries on whichever of their passports offers the most advantageous visa terms & conditions. But do not EVER enter your country of citizenship on any passport other than a currently valid passport from that country!

Sorry I didn't word it the right way & thanks. It was my first solo trip. So, stressful. Lol

i would talk to someone in immigration about it

Nobody cares which passport you use for your travels, not even your sick uncle's brother's nephew. What matters is that you use your US passport when returning to the United States, 'cause that's the law.

I wonder how you thought that "the lady that stamped your passport" should have realized that you are hold more than one citizenship? Did she have a sign next to her ready PSYCHIC and did she charge you 5 bucks for it?

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.