How to mount a non electrical fuel gauge on a motorcycle?

I have a classic minibike and it has nothing electrical on it except a light, I usually find myself running out of gas when I take it somewhere, I don t want to drill into the gas tank and mount one on there and I don t want to connect a battery and mount an electrical one, I just want a normal fuel gauge that is mounted by the handle bars. Any ideas???

On the smaller bikes the fuel lever has 2 positions. One is normal and the other is reserve. Reserve holds about a gallon of fuel. So when riding on normal, it starts to cough and slow down, chances are good you are running low on fuel so you flip the switch to reserve and the bike fires up again and you continue on. I have been able to do 100 miles on reserve, so a gas station will happen by that time. You fill it up and flip the switch back to Normal or Regular flow for the next time when it happens. You get a good idea how far or how long you can ride or how low the tank looks when you take the filler cap off and look to see how much fuel you got. Otherwise you have a clean dry stick to measure. The tap is easier.

• If you want 'a normal fuel gauge that is mounted by the handle bars', you have little choice but to add an electric gauge.  You didn't say whether your tank is mounted on the engine or separately, on the frame, and if it's on the frame, if it straddles the frame rails or is between them.  On tanks that have nothing between the cap and the bottom you can simply screw off the old cap and replace it with a float style gauge.  The best way to discover your options is to google 'aftermarket small engine gas gauge' you will get far better ideas than the ones presented by some here.

Minibike?

It has a gas tank on the front of the engine between your legs? There are float style gas caps for the tank. Which engine do you have? Ask at the lawnmower shop.

I typed in:

lawn mower gas cap fuel gauge

into my search engine

and there were MANY sites!

Try it!

The thread must match the gas tank, and it should go to the bottom of the tank, but not touch.

p.s. WHY can't you look into the gas tank once in a while?"

Fit an odometer (simple, independent bar mounted bicycle one) and away you go, then set the trip every time you fill up.

You will need to adjust based on the diameter of the wheels.

And your fuel petcock doesn't have 3 settings - off, on, reserve?? Even my old Honda 50 had this. It started missing, I switched over to reserve, and either headed for home, or the nearest gas station.

• arther

fit a fuel tap that has primary and reserve so you know you only have a couple of litres left

I doubt whether that's possible due to the baffle running down the middle of the tank so why not just use the reserve tap?

Fill the tank up then see how far you get before you hit reserve again. That will give you an indication of when the bike needs more fuel. My old CB650Z did 130 miles so once I reached 125 I looked for a petrol station.

Most riders figure the app. range their bike can travel on a full tank.

So you need to learn how to judge distance traveled vesus MPG and work it out.

All of my bikes until the newest one has had a no fuel gauge, ran out of fuel one time before learning the system.

The non electrical ones have a float cork on a spin screw in the tank cap, that's your only recourse.

This one fits a 8 inch deep tank - Briggs & Stratton Part 189420GS -CAP-FUEL GAUGE

• Bill

Good answer. The early Piper Cubs used those.