Would you be offended if this happened to you?

Today I was in a shop browsing at makeup mostly waiting for my mum and I noticed one of the staff was watching me like a hawk. I waited to see if she backed off after about twenty minutes of looking at all the makeup. Everytime I moved up the aisle she edged up, when I went around the corner she walked up and stopped at the end and watched me like a hawk, I felt really offended and very nearly asked if she had a problem or if it looked like I was up to no good and why she thought that if so as I didn't even have a bag, I walked out and went into another shop to browse at hair and earring accessories and when I entered the security in the shopping centre were nowhere about but after two minutes if that they appeared and one of them walked over to me and looked at what I was doing and then waited outside. When I left, they returned to where they had came from. Then on the way back I looked past the first shop I was followed in and noticed the woman that was following me from there was talking to the same security bloke, what on earth was going on please and why? I felt really offended and want opinions please mostly on whether this was out of line, never happened before I felt very victimised

next time just stare back at them until they go away..and they will...walk closer to them while staring

Possibly, but if I were a teen I'd understand that most shoplifters fit my age demo and I'd understand that this person was just doing their job.

If it happened to me? Not likely, when I go into store or shop I usually buy something. Store people come up and ask about what I'm looking for and direct me to proper section and I then select article needed, take to register and usually pay cash. I'm old white guy, Identity checks are AARP for senior discounts and I have coin pouch, credit card and some cash ready, don't look like a hood rat or druggy trying to boost next drug score money merchandise. No nose rings, tattoos on face, T shirt with some kind of hippity hopper sort of noise making group logo to attract security attention. Now lets get to what you look like- what is normal? hoodies in hot weather instead of rain or cold spell- that is fashion statement of potential shoplifter, pick pocket or time waster. Lot of other hints of trouble makers in retail- how many triggers, red flags do you show public? Wear a NRA cap or MAGA hat, military uniform maybe and see how you're treated. Stop whining, look in mirror and really be honest about appearance- do you look like a thief? Juvenile gangbanger wannabee? STD infected public health hazard?

Maybe a little, but I wouldn't take it personally, especially if they're complete strangers doing their job.

• 38lsb

Quit being such a cry baby.

• audrey

Were you wearing a hoodie? Hoodies and backpacks are two red flags in a lot of stores.

A large number of teenagers do shoplift and you did look suspicious. You should have stayed with your mother or outside unless you were actually purchasing something.

• lucy8 months agoReport

So the minority have to spoil it for the majority. How do you know I looked suspicious? I was just a normal person browsing at stuff. I was killing time and there's no law against browsing in shops

grow a pair. The world is low on people who just suck it up and move on.

idk are you a minority

okefkofkokekoefkfekofok