Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 8 months ago

Do i use the scientific name of organisms in my assignment?

I'm a high school student and i'm currently working on a science report. I just don't know whether or not to use the scientific name of organisms such as pigs or humans or just use the common names.

Cheers.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

If you are referring only to domestic swine and to humans, there is no need to use the scientific name. There should be no confusion. Use of scientific names here would be pompous.

BTW, Note that I said "domestic swine". A "pig" is one that has not yet been weaned.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • MARK
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It would depend on what your curriculum requires. So, this is a question you need to direct at your teacher.

• 8 months ago

Depends on the context.

If it's a biology topic, and you have to discuss for example the taxonomic relationship with related or ancestral species: domestic pigs vs wild boars and other suidae hogs, or anatomically modern humans vs Neanderthals, Erectus, and australopithecines, you MUST use binomial names (genus + species), even trinomial (+ subspecies) if needed:

"Homo sapiens", "Sus scrofa domesticus", etc. (beware of the capitalized genus name only)

For other uses, the common English names are acceptable:

"humans commonly farm domesticated pigs as livestock"

• 8 months ago

Genus, Species

Thats all there is tp it!

Source(s): Went to midddle school.,l.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.