James asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Is my fishing hook too big for small/medium fishes? Please read the details below and answer ASAP.?

This will be my first time fishing and I recently purchased J-shaped hooks in bulk. I used a good deal of time in selecting the size as I wanted a decent size that could go with maximum variety and sizes of fish (kind of versatile). Now when I am watching fishing/angling videos, I am noticing that they are using small hooks for big fishes. Whereas the places where I am planning to catch fish are small mountain streams and have got medium to small fishes only (almost all the fishes are the size of small mullets and herrings with an average weight of 100 to 200 grams), whereas my hook has a long shaft and is a total of 1 inch long (2.5 centimetres) from the eye to the curve at the bottom and is 1 centimeter broad. Now I'm feeling a bit paranoid. Is the shaft too long? If Yes, is it counter-productive for catching fishes. Please help me out.

Attachment image

2 Answers

Relevance
  • lj1
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That size should be fine for small to medium fish. If a fish is too small to bite a hook that size, it's probably too small to keep.

• 2 months ago

No way it will work. It'll snap right in half after the second or third bite.

You want a titanium/platinum alloy about 4-5 inches in length.

Good luck.

Garret

• James2 months agoReport

Are you saying that it will break in half when a tiny 4 inch fish bites it? Will it even fit her mouth? Or did I fail to understand the sarcasm in your answer?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.