Why do I get sick the same time every year and what is it?

Around the same time every year I get sick with a very annoying cough. It lasts for weeks and I’ve gotten it since I was a kid (my father just informed me that I had coughing issues like this since I was a baby) It’s gotten better as I’ve gotten older but it hit me real hard the past couple of weeks and I realized... show more Around the same time every year I get sick with a very annoying cough. It lasts for weeks and I’ve gotten it since I was a kid (my father just informed me that I had coughing issues like this since I was a baby) It’s gotten better as I’ve gotten older but it hit me real hard the past couple of weeks and I realized I don’t actually know what it is.
The symptoms start with a sore throat then slowly progress into a cough. It’s a very dry cough and is almost like a heave. I go into coughing fits for a few minutes and can’t breathe cause I’m coughing too much, then I’m fine for a little while with only a few coughs. It really hurts my chest and diaphragm.
I have a little bit of mucus in my throat but not a lot (not enough to warrant this much coughing) and I can breathe through my nose fine. I just have a slight runny nose but Its probably from the colder weather.
I originally thought it was post nasal drip because I got that a lot as a kid but I’m not stuffed up so I ruled it out.
I think it might be bronchitis since I got that once really badly when I was in middle school but I’m not really sure. I’m generally a healthy person with no health complications.
Oh, I got my tonsils removed as a kid though, idk if that contributes.
I’m going to the doctors next week but I’m pretty impatient and wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions about what it is and how to lessen the symptoms.
Thanks for any suggestions.