The difference between Knowledge and Faith: Is knowledge "justified belief" and is faith "unjustified belief"?

Knowledge is belief based on logical deduction and/or empirical evidence. Faith is belief based on anything else.

I wouldn't trade my Biblical knowledge for all the other knowledge in the world. Getting wisdom far exceeds knowledge. All good gifts come from above. I've never known a University President that wouldn't like a moment with God. Once you've been in God's presence, you will yearn and thirst for His presence again. In the presence of God every man alive will change.

• Al

Knowledge can only come from the Holy Spirit, Faith is a Gift from God lest any man should boast otherwise, only Love is justified....... faith is not determined by you, because what God gifted cannot be undone.

• d00ney

I would suggest rather that if faith is not justified it is superstition. One could say that faith is the knowledge of what could be but is not yet.

Knowledge is the use, classification, or development of information, that enables us to make sense of the world and develop our belief system.

If, say I were to say that we know there never was a moon landing because they never came back with green cheese.

You could conclude that either

a) the moon is not made of green cheese, or

b) the moon is made of green cheese and the astronauts secretly ate it, or

c) I am labouring under a misapprehension.

The conclusion that you draw is based on your knowledge, your understanding, and your belief, and your belief in this case is what you accept as true.

Mark Twain once claimed that “Faith is believing what you know ain’t so.”

Not so. It’s believing what you can’t see, a very different matter because sometimes there are very good reasons to believe what you cannot see.

As for knowledge, that is storing information in your brain. Any information. All information, and some of that information might turn out to be unjustified as later discoveries show the initial knowledge to be wrong.

Faith in God is based on centuries of people discovering God interacting with them in ways that give them knowledge about the divine - that which is spiritual and immaterial. People have written down their experiences and what God has revealed to them. Sure, you would be unwise to take every claim as if it was true because myriad false claims have been made. But once a person discovers the reality of God for himself or herself, they can enter into a relationship with God that is never the experience of those who deride faith and despise God. God isn't a fool, you know. He chooses who will be friends with Him, and the Bible shows the basis of that friendship is always faith in Him. Mock if you like but know that you will never know for as long as you arrogantly deride faith.

Knowledge is gained through proof and evidence to support the claim. Faith is the excuse when you don't have a good reason, proof or evidence to back up your claim. Faith is wishful thinking at best.

• Jea

Wow sk8terboy1963, you managed to really trigger this fool!  Amazing how hostile and childish they become when anyone dares to post some truth for a change!  The hatred fairly oozes from their pores.

Knowledge is when belief is no longer required because you actually "know". Faith is just another word for "trust", you can trust either justified or unjustified beliefs. It can be a "reasoned" trust or a "blind" trust. There are no guarantees that a belief or a trust is not misplaced where humans have a rather good record of getting things wrong. You can know that some airplanes crash, looking at the odds of such an occurrence, you can have faith/trust that it will unlikely happen to the airplane you are traveling on. If you are on a plane that is going to crash, you can know you were wrong.

Faith has been used in a derogatory manner against people. The truth is that you can't have faith without knowledge.

Knowledge is the collection of information. This information allows you to make predictions based on patterns.

Faith is taking the knowledge that you have and trusting something to be true.

I know when I hit the accelerator that my car moves forward because I've seen this happen time and time again. I have faith that when I hit the accelerator again that my car will move forward again. I cannot give any evidence beforehand that the outcome will remain constant. There may be something wrong with my car that I'm unaware of. But, it's safe to say that my faith is not misplaced in my prediction.

• Jea

Faith is an admission of a lack of knowledge.  Knowledge trumps faith every time.

That which is revealed by God is true knowledge and faith is hearing God's word.

All other knowlege and faith has meaning, just like Humpty Dumpty says, it means exactly what any wants it to mean.

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Yahoo User3 months agoReport

Ok dumbass, answer this one for me. Why do you have faith that n the men who wrote the Bible who claimed that they were inspired by God.

• yesmar

"Faith" is a trust in a covenant partner. "Knowledge" is an accumulation of facts and experiences.

• Princess3 months agoReport

"Faith" is not "trust". TRUST is trust.
      Faith is accepting a thing as true for no reason.