Living with a gun owner who has dementia?

We live with my Wife s Grandfather. We moved in after her grandmother passed away. He has dementia. He s also a diabetic, and an alcoholic. That s a very bad combination. And even worse, He s a gun owner. Lately he s been getting increasingly aggressive. Getting angry at anything and everything for no reason. The... show more We live with my Wife s Grandfather. We moved in after her grandmother passed away. He has dementia. He s also a diabetic, and an alcoholic. That s a very bad combination. And even worse, He s a gun owner. Lately he s been getting increasingly aggressive. Getting angry at anything and everything for no reason. The other night he saw a shooting on the news. It was three cities away. But he become very angry, and started saying. "I need my gun, if anybody comes in here i ll shoot em". If a normal mentally healthy person said that. I wouldn t think much of it. But this man has delusions because of his dementia. He had a problem with his diabetes a few weeks ago, and passed out in the kitchen. He has one of those monitoring systems so when he fell, it set off an alarm. 911 called the house and asked if he needed help. He said yes. So the paramedics came. Now two weeks later he s trying to sue the city because he thinks the EMT s broke into his house. The other night he set his whisky down and forgot where he put it. He started yelling at my wife accusing her of taking it. There s been other incidents, But you get the idea. Nobody really trust this man with a gun. Not knowing what to do, I removed the firing pin from his gun when he wasn t looking. It s the only solution i could think of that wouldn t cause a big scene. I m just not sure if i did the right thing. Or if what i did is even legal. I want an outsider s perspective. Did i do the right thing? Is there a better way?
30 answers 30