i live in a nursing home. They get my S.S.D.I. Is it legal for them to take my retirement from my last job, iam 71. Robert?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

If you are "private pay", then they get whatever amount of money they charge. If your SSDI isn't enough, then they get the rest from somewhere else.

If you are using medicaid, then they must take ALL your income, except for a very tiny amount (I think it's about $25) that you are allowed to keep for personal expenses. It's illegal for them to let you keep anything more than that.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No one gets SSDI once they have reached full retirement age which currently is age 66. For you it would have been before age 66. At that point they are converted to retirement benefits. You get a retirement benefit.

It probably takes all of your SS retirement benefit to cover the cost of your care and then some. So yes, it is legal.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Yes. A social worker at Medicaid usually sets the monthly nursing home fee, depending on what the resident gets monthly from retirement and government, including IRAs. Each resident is usually allowed a small monthly 'allowance' out of that monthly total for treats, haircuts, etc. If you think your funds are being mishandled, you can speak to the business manager or a trusted relative.

• 8 months ago

If the costs of your care exceed the SSDI payments...how else would they get paid??

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

They will take everything you have to cover your costs.

• marty
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It would all be included in the contract you signed. Read the contract and you'll find your answer.

• 8 months ago

I don't think that's allowed but you should contact an ombudsmen that will answer your questions and guide you. Best wishes!

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Your thinking has ZERO legal or rational basis.

• 8 months ago

It is legal for them to get any means there is to cover your bills.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

good job, you just signed your life away.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.