Even if being gay was a choice, is that an excuse for people to be homophobic?

I'm gay and I didn't choose to be gay at all, but let's suppose that being gay was a choice. Why can't homophobes just respect that two people of the same gender like each other? Even if they choose to be this way.

Precisely.  Choice or no choice (or "nature vs nurture") has nothing to do with LGBT rights.  Trying to defend who you are by saying "I was born this way" is just handing a stick to those who want to beat you.

If a religious sect believes that you are sinful, telling them "I was born this way" isn't going to cause them to say "Oh?  Well then, you're not sinning after all."

If people have a compulsion to abuse folks like you, telling them "I was born this way" isn't going to cause them to say "Gosh, I'm sorry.  I take it all back."

If people at the courthouse don't let you take certain legal acts because it doesn't seem appropriate to them, given "how you are", telling them "I was born this way" isn't going to cause them to say "In that case, certainly we can help you."

Every advancement made over such obstacles has been achieved in a court of law, and courts of law only care about balancing freedom versus equality.  How the litigants were born never influences their decisions.  It's irrelevant, and it sidetracks a debate that SHOULD be strictly about freedom versus equality.

Show me anyone, just ONE person who is AFRAID of homosexuals or any other kind of sexual deviant.  No-one is AFRAID of them. If you don't know the meaning of the words phobia or deviant, look them up in a dictionary or on-line.  It's easy enough to do and then you 'might' appear to be slightly more intelligent.

• You absolutely have a choice about what you do in your life. Just because you have some feeling does not mean you have to give in to it. You are not an animal. You can think about what you do. 

Is what you do worthy of you? That is the only question of worth here. I am merely saying that it’s not your loins which decide, you do.

When your mind agrees, only then you do. You are a multi-layered individual. Your actions are multidimensional. No two people are the same. There is no one dimension which decides what you do. Certainly not lust alone. There is a person in there too. That person matters. More than an animal.

Absolutely, I totally agree. The choice thing is irrelevant.

Homophobic people have a hidden underlying secret.

Most have their own same sex, sexual attraction some even an active same sex behavior and yet they don't want others to know. As anyone who has a secret will tell you, they dont like having to discuss it or even have it acknowledged.

An example.

I know a young lady who had an abortion at age 17, she hates the subject to even be raised in the media.

They are probably only a little grossed out, that's all.

Religion is a protected choice, therefore choice or not makes no difference. End of argument.

This is an argument I hold dear to my heart.

First and foremost, "homophobia" should be defined as "one who participates in one sided outward aggressions to another person based on the victim's perceived sexual orientation"

In my mind, much of what is called "homophobia" is just the residual tensions created because both groups won't shut up and say "why does it matter?"

If LGBT stood up proud and said

"I am gay by choice and there is nothing wrong with it", the message would carry a hell of a lot more power than "I am gay... because science says I'm gay... questioning science makes you a homophobe"

The residuals aren't going to change. Nothing you say is going to make people who actively oppose LGBT change, it will only give them fuel to feed on and say "look at what they're doing to our children."

The goal should be to make LGBT so banal that it becomes like wearing a hat or being a vegetarian. Something no one cares about but is seen as being "whatever."

As morgan freeman put it, the best way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it.

Correct. It's pretty irrelevant whether it's a choice or not.

Choice or nature is irrelevant. Irrational, groundless, meddling bigotry is the problem. At the same time, insistence on acceptance is unrealistic. In the words of Pres. James Dale, "Can't we all just get along?"

It seems like a lot of people need someone to hate...they probably hate themselves most of all and they take it out on someone they perceive as vulnerable.

• Alexander

Societies seem to need a scapegoat or a whipping boy. Cultural outsiders have always been popular targets.