Would you take away an item that your children are fighting over?

When I was younger, I remember walking by a room that my cousins were in and I thought I saw them fighting over a dart. Well when I went over to the door I saw that they actually were fighting over a dart and I didn't know who I should help because I didn't know who started what and my dad eventually took the dart away from them ( I'm assuming that both of my cousins parents gave him permission to do so and none of their parents were there when this was happening). As for the question yes if I ever catch my future kids doing that, I'd immediately take the item away because I don't condone behavior like that and fighting over anything is unacceptable. So would you take an item away if your children are fighting over it? Also I was using my experience as an example, I'm not dwelling on the past or anything.

Yes - one time when our girls were fighting over something, they came to me to try to get me to decide who could have it. I took it and put it on top of the refrigerator.

They learned that fighting resulted in no one getting to play with it.

Yes and they would not get it back. They would be told since they were fighting over it the toy is being taken away and tossed in the trash so neither of them will have it 

• Charlie5 months agoReport

Case my cousins were 10 and 7 so they were both old enough to understand the concept of sharing but even then throwing the dart away would be a waste of money. However with a child who's too young to understand the concept of sharing, it's best to explain the concept of sharing.

Your life must be riveting

Sure, especially if they're little. Lesson learned, you can't share, you don't get it at all.

• Charlie5 months agoReport

I completely agree because It's important for children to learn to share and besides that It's also important to teach them that fighting over anything is unacceptable, especially if the item being fought over can be easily damaged.

• Nathan

Yes. If neither of them can have it, especially if it's something dangerous like a dart, then they won't argue anymore

Kids fight about things, Charlie. It's one of the ways they learn how to deal with and resolve conflicts. And taking away the object that is being fought over teaches kids nothing. Even worse, it makes it more likely that they will find something else to fight about. They have to learn how to resolve their own conflicts at some point, without you interfering with their lives.

If the fighting is physical, then you have reason to intervene. But if it's just your typical kid's shouting match, then leave the situation alone and let them work it out. I fought with my siblings all the time as a kid. But I turned out okay, and so did they. We're all close now. That's what will happen to your kids. Today's quarrels are tomorrow's friendships and love.

If two people are fighting over an item, take the item split it in half and give one half to each person, problem solved.

• Charlie5 months agoReport

Well you can't do that with a dart.

Yes. It's a very common cause/effect lesson.