I think I’m being scammed. Can I still cash the check?

A lady emailed me about the purse that I have been trying to sell. She told me she would send me a check and then I would send her the purse after I get the check. So I got the check today, and she emailed me and said her husband “accidentally” put more money on it because some of it was supposed to be sent to her daughter. Now I have a check for $4,000 and I was only supposed to get $900. I told her I would cancel the check and she could just send me a new check, but things are getting weird now and all she’s telling me to do is “deposit the check”. So can I just deposit the check and keep all of the money and not get in trouble for it since the check is in my name?

No. The check is probably forged or stolen or illegal to cash or deposit for some other reason; you could go to prison. Even if that doesn't happen, you won't get to keep any of the money, not even the $900.

And I don't "think" you're being scammed. I know you're being scammed.

Oh, yes, this is a scam. No person in their right mind would ask and trust a stranger to cash a check that was issued by accident for 31 hundred dollars extra. Because a normal person would stop payment on the check and issue another one in the correct amount.

This silly story about sending you the wrong amount of money is pure bullshit.

They hope you cash the check and give the difference back to them. Then, they disappear into the wood work, your bank notifies you that the check bounced and therefore, you are out $3100.00 because you will owe that amount to your bank.

Sure you can cash the check, but there will be consequences as it is considered fraud and you could be in trouble for conspiracy because you played your part in the scam by using your checking account .

• Alan H

Just return the check....keep the purse

Don't cash the check. Common sense. She's probably from Nigeria.

It is a scam. The check is either stolen or fake.

If you cash or deposit the check, the bank WILL take back the full amount before they even decide about filing a criminal complaint.

The check is fraudulant and will bounce.

It is 100% a scam. NO, do not cash the check, it is fake. There is no $4000.

Even if it was real, no, you could not just take their money.

• Tavy

No, this is a common scam. Tear it up, you have lost the purse.

It's a common scam. The check will eventually bounce but after you have given this person the extra money or the purse you are selling her. Do NOT send the purse and send her check back to her and ask for a chashier's check for the purse. You will probably never hear from her again

Yes u can babe lokak