Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 months ago

Children's punishment? What do you think of this idea if a child disobeys their parents. Lets say the child really wants to go to a concert?

out of town. And the parents say No, they can't go. So if the child asks the parents that if they do go, what would be the punishment to them and the parent tells them what the punishment will be. So the child can decide whether or not going to the concert is worth the punishment, and if they decide to go and accept the punishment afterwards, is that the Best Way to handle this situation? Why or Why not? Your thoughts?

• Archer

No means no, it is not a negotiation dumb ***!

• Edna

The parents should just say to the child, "If you go to that concert, I'll kill you. THAT will be your punishment". Let the kid make his choice.

• Then the child states to you, if you kill me, then you will go to prison for the rest of your life.  Now you are even.

Most parents won't do anything or the punishment will be really light, 

the child should have never been allowed to go any way. There's no need for them to go and if they sneak off then there goes all their privileges. No net, no computer, no cell phone, no nothing. 

• I think banning their internet, computer, cell phone, no nothing --- is WAY TOO EXTREME A PUNISHMENT -- IT IS OVERKILL.  Weren't you a child once?

So the child was told no, and then not only snuck out but left town? Yeah, that child wouldn't have any privileges left in my house. They want to act like a 2-year-old, we'll happily indulge them. Two-year-olds don't get internet, phones, laptops, dates, time out with friends without a parental chaperone, etc.

Nope. You must be the child in this story. The punishment needs to be something that will make the child realize the consequences of what they did.

• I personally think that is a good idea. I am not the child, by the way.  It lets the child realize the consequences of their  "crime"  is willing to accept the consequences. This is similar to obeying the law.  

• marty

When I told my kids no, that was the end of the conversation. I didn't have to say anything else.

• It makes me think that your children are really afraid of you.  Why?  Hopefully there is not abuse going on in your house.  But I feel at some point, your children will rebel and that you may harm your relationship with your children, they may grow up and resent you.

No. If you were to go to the concert after hearing what the punishment was, your parents will just think the punishment obv wasn't harsh enough and they'll punish you harder. The best way would have been not to have asked at all. They can't really blame you if you didn't know you weren't allowed. It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

• nevin0020

No it's not. And if that's your mindset you're going to have a very hard time if you ever get in real trouble. You're meant to show remorse when you do something wrong. If you make a cold calculated decision before breaking the law, you will get the maximum penalty and for good reason.