Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 months ago

Question for Americans?

I was recently told the legal age to drink is 21, why is it then they can send young men of 18 away to fight and die but they can't enjoy a drink?

Update:

I am English and was just wondering why.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

The law is an @rse and very inconsistent like that.

I've heard of American soldiers and Marines who are 18-20 who have served a tour or two in Iraq and Afghanistan getting in trouble for underage drinking.

Of course, the US military could raise the minimum enlistment age to 21 to be consistent, but they'd probably have trouble meeting their manpower requirements.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

They can enjoy a drink, even though it's illegal. The law isn't well-enforced. That's part of the reason for the high official age; when it was only 18, younger teens (13-17) would drink. By raising it to 21, they made it somewhat harder for younger teens to pretend to be old enough to drink.

• Diana
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Back in the early 1970's, young American activists pushed for a law that allowed 18 year olds to vote.  Their reasoning was that if they were old enough to risk death on a battlefield, they should be allowed to vote for/against the politicians who sent them there.  

• 8 months ago

because congress said so.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Booger
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

They also can`t vote until they`re 21. I`ve always figured that the younger a person is, the easier it is to indoctrinate them. They`d be more likely not to question orders, etc. The reality is that we`ve (Americans) always wondered about that too.

• ...Show all comments
    • EdWinter
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

"I've always figured that the younger a person is, the easier it is to indoctrinate them."

Our "liberal" friends have always subscribed to that view. Why do you imagine they're bound and determined to retain control of the public school system in this country.

• 8 months ago

Politics. Some states won't let you buy cigarettes until you are 21, either. At 18, you are dumb enough to join the military, but not smart enough to drink liquor.

• 8 months ago

Oh, haven't you heard? We're a nation of laws, AnonnieGurl, and those are the laws.

Hope that helped!

• 8 months ago

We're Puritanical like that.

• 8 months ago

Because we found out the hard way that 18-21 year olds who could buy alcohol legally were killing a bunch of people in traffic accidents.

• 8 months ago

Because going into the army only puts yourself at risk for dying. Drinking puts other people at risk too.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.