Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 months ago

Why did Victorian era bakers in England put poison that was commonly used in laundry detergent more modern history, in the bread?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Das
    Lv 4
    9 months ago
    Favourite answer

Ignorance. Sheer ignorance.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

I remember an old rhyme my late Dad used to say to me

The wonderful thing about Bread, It sticks to your belly like Lead

Spare a thought for the old Hat Makers though

Mercury was once used to stiffen the Rims

A Heavy Metal, it was a poison that attacked the Brain

Hence the saying, as mad as a Hatter !

• 9 months ago

To make it look whiter and heavier

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

In this supposedly advanced era how can psychiatrists prescribe neurotoxins like lithium carbonate to people? Knowingly poisoning them? I think the stuff to Victorians were putting in bread was a lot less harmful.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

They didn't think, 'Hey, I'm going to put some poooooiiison into the bread!'

They thought, 'Here's some stuff that'll make my bread look better, at very little cost to myself'.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Back in Victorian times many poisons were put in foods and medicines in some strange belief they were good for you. Things like arsenic, strychnine, mercury, morphine and cocaine and many other poisons and hallucinogens were added. They made people sick but for some reason people believed they were healthy. Morphine was commonly used in medication and people became addicted. It is even said the original Coca Cola had some cocaine in it.

Even paint had arsenic and lead in it supposedly as it gave a better sheen, but some very sensitive people got sick living in a home painted with lead based paints. Rooves were painted in these paints paint and the rainwater leached the toxins out of the paint into rainwater tanks. Gentlemen's hats were made using mercury and many hat makers went mad from mercury being absorbed trough the skin.

Early radioactive elements were seen as magic cures until people started to die from he effects of radioactivity. It was ignorance that drove the use of these things in everyday foods and other things.

• 9 months ago

May I please get best answer?

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

https://www.ft.com/content/2be889d8-257a-11e3-b349...

to bulk out the flour and make it whiter.

• 9 months ago

not sure what specific "poisons" you mean... but many chemicals used as leavening agents..even baking powder to a degree.. are toxic..

since many of these also have caustic properties, they are also often used in soaps and detergents...ammonia is another toxic chemical used in both baking and cleaning...

besides leavening, some toxic chemicals also found in detergents is lye, which is what gives pretzels their distinctive brown color...

• 9 months ago

I am guessing you are talking about the use of Alum.

It was supposed to make the bread whiter and they were sure the whiter the bread the healthier it was.

At the time it was not realized the health dangers of this chemical.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

It was their version of the Tide Pod challenge.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.