Anonymous

Am I being unreasonable?

I currently work in hospitality a supervisor earning minimum wage (£8.21) I’ve worked in the role for 17 months and I’ve never been offered any kind of pay rise for role I do. There’s a girl I work with who’s younger than me but since June she’s been working in the same role as me. I’ve just found out that instead of earning the £6.15 that’s minimum wage for her age she’s earning £7. Am I being unreasonable to think that if she’s being paid extra then I should be too?

I haven’t found this out in an sly way. She’s openly told me as we’re close friends.  

You should not be paid more than the minimum for your age just because she is being paid more than the minimum for her age.

A person should be paid either (a) the minimum for their age, or (b) what the employer would pay everyone in that role if there weren't minimum wage laws. If the employer would have paid everyone £7 if there were no minimum wage laws, then she gets that and you get the minimum for your age.

You don't desire something that is more than someone else in the same role and more than the minimum.

Yes, you are being unreasonable. Your boss believes your co-worker's labor is worth more than sub-minimum wage, thinks this age-based crap is a swindle, and thus pays her a wage less than (but not equal to) your own.

• Judy

sorry, but yes you are, And she's doing the same work as you for a lot less and YOU are complaining?

i dont think so

Don't you hate working in the UK where your wages are based on your age and not your skill level?

• n2mama

Yes, your expectation is unreasonable. Your pay rate is what you have agreed to accept for the work, and has nothing to do with what anyone else makes. If you are unsatisfied with your rate of pay you are free to address it with your boss or seek other work.

If you do choose to address it with your boss, your focus should be entirely on what you do, achievements you have made, improvements to the department, etc. You can also mention the length of time you have been working without an increase. But under no circumstances do you bring up your coworker.

Her pay rate is none of your bees wax.

• Lolly

It's none of your business.