If my step dad adopts me, does my biological dad still have to pay child support? I’m 18 and my bio dad only just started paying it.?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

No, once you’re adopted your father signs over his rights as a parent, essentially giving up his spot. As he is no longer legally obligated toward you, he doesn’t have to pay child support.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • shroud
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I would say yes, child support is normally from birth to 18ish

if your bio-dad only just started paying than he would own years of back support

• M.P.
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

If you're legally adopted then the person adopting you becomes financially and physically responsible for you - cudos to your adoptive dad for taking on that responsibility and stepping up to the challenge of raising and providing for you - you owe him a lot, you better do well in college to make it worth the sacrifice and the effort. Be grateful.

• AJ
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Your biological father would no longer have to pay child support.

To those who say child support stops at 18, that is incorrect for many states. It is actually graduate from high school or the child turns 19, whichever one comes first.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Normally no, but in your case, the child support should already be ending anyway, because you are now, or soon to be, a legal adult, depending on your state's laws regarding child support.

If this is back support, you should still receive it even if you are adopted, because you were entitled to it as a minor and didn't get it. However, if it's not back support and is intended to, say, support you while you are in college, your father could reasonably refuse to pay if you are adopted.

Much depends on what the divorce agreement said about support after you became a legal adult. Sometimes a parent does agree to pay college expenses, but again, your father may no longer be obligated to pay if you are no longer his legal child. A lawyer would have to look into the situation.

• 8 months ago

1. child support ends at 18, unless there are extenuating circumstances, like going to school or ill.

2. If he adopts you that mean that your biological father has given up his rights and does not have to pay child support anymore

• 8 months ago

Child support payments end when you turn 18, so I'm guessing the adoption idea wouldn't be an option either.

• 8 months ago

Your step dad can't adopt you unless your father signs off his parental rights for you. This is done through an attorney and the Courts.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

probably not but not cause of your stepdad adopting you but because youre already 18

• CB
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Depends on the court ordered agreement between your mom and dad.Normally after 18 there is no more required child support because you are of legal age. There may be some support required for college but again it would be part of the agreement.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.