I got a laptop computer to replace my old hp desktop. How can I transfer and then remove all data from the desk top so i can safely get rid of it?

get an external drive and plug it into your laptop via USB. Then just drag the files you want to save onto it. Once done, drill some holes into the old drive if you want to ensure no data survives on it.

I save all important files on a external drive, so I can access them on any computer.

Hi. Simplest & cheapest answer is amazingly effective. You'll need to buy 2 things - a new harddrive for the desktop - nothing fancy or expensive, & a couple of adapters.

Just download an installation disc for the Windows version on the comp[uter from either HP or Microsoft directly, then get one of these :

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+sata+case&rh=n%3A16...

You can then just rte-install Windows from the disc, & install any necessary drivers from HP You can't find anymore from the newly external old harddrive with a driversd search within the clean install.

And You still have all Your personal files available without clogging up Your small laptop harddrive's limited space.

G'Luck!!!

I don't know about formatting your HDD, but to transfer your data, you'll want to go with an external hard drive. Plug it in to your PC, transfer the data you want to the external hard drive, and then plug that bad boy into your laptop and offload it. As far as formatting the old hard drive, you'll have to get the answer elsewhere. I genuinely don't know how to do that.

• David

I would open up the HP and remove the drive, buy a cheap USB-SATA adapter such as this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Adapter-Drive-Supp...

connect your old drive and plug the adapater into your laptop. The drive should be recognised and you could copy your files off. Once you have done that you could format the old drive and then smash it with a hammer

you could take it to a computer store and let them do it

connect them to the same router and then use Windows to form a local area network. After that, files can dragged and dropped

• Norm F

Just do a factory reset after you have taken all the data you want to keep off of the drive.

Then download and install Ccleaner and run drive wiper, Free space on the drive.

That will stop anyone recovering your data

USB male to USB male cable plug desk top usb port to laptop usb port. Transfer any files you want to save onto your laptops hard drive. Once done disconnect the usb cable.

Then format the hard drive on the desktop computer.

If you really want to be sure remove the hard drive from the desktop and destroy it.

• David

A straight USB-USB cable will damage the motherboard and wouldn't work.

• Rick

maybe you'd better leave that to your computer doctor .............................