Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 months ago

Why do parents always expect the big brother to protect their sister?

My sons aren't being raised to think they automatically have to protect their little sister and so far they ignore her except for when my mother forces them to play together while they are at her house

Why do parents put that unnecessary pressure on big brothers?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

I don't understand why you think this is so unnatural. You don't give the ages of your kids, which always matters, but I'd think parents would appreciate it if older bro is protective. If she gets bullied, or some guy gets handsy with her at a party, you'd prefer they watch silently and let her fight her own battles?

In a healthy household, older bro's don't have to be told to be there for their younger sister. They do it by instinct.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

I don't know but it's annoying, older brothers shouldn't have that burden.

Source(s): Youngest and only girl of 5 brothers
    • Lili
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

It's not a "burden". It's usually assumed quite naturally by older brothers and sisters.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

It's not just big brothers; it's big sisters, too. It's not unnatural to expect older siblings to look out for younger ones, and they usually do it regardless of parental expectations or lack thereof. It probably involves an instinct related to the "survival of the species" imperative.

Why do you find that strange?

• 9 months ago

cause theyre guys and stranger so they can protect them better

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Really its a natural thing for older sibilings to protect the younger ones. It happens naturally over timr even if its not forced upon by the parents.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

cause thats what big brothers are for

• 9 months ago

It ought to be normal for an older brother to look out for a younger sister when he feels the need to do so.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.