Is anyone familiar with long-term camping?

I hate the way the modern-world is set up.

I really don't want to work more than

30 hours/week, so I can meditate like the

Buddha. There aren't too many of those.

Anyway, I'm considering going to live in a

tent in the mountains. Do 10-degree

sleeping bags really work? How do you

deal with 120 degree heat? Advice Please.

_______

Really, what do you suggest I do?

I looked into being homeless.

That's just plain dangerous. Should

I move to another country where

wandering-monks are respected?

Thank You

• Jon

There would be a lot of practical problems to long-term wilderness squatting. The only person I ever met who did it successfully had a lot of skills and support. He lived in a cave on Skye, Scotland. He lived by a mixture of working as a canoe instructor in summer, sea fishing and occasional carpentry work. It worked out because the owner of the land where the cave stood liked him (both were ex-military) and did not throw him out or demand rent, because local people liked him and picked him ahead of others for work and for buying fish, because he was a very good canoeist and sea fisherman and because Scotland has the NHS which provides free health care.

How about joining a Buddhist community, where it might be easier to live the sort of life you seem to prefer? But don't follow the example of a woman I knew who joined one: despite being in her late 60's when she joined a Buddhist community in Brighton, England, she was thrown out for "corrupting" (i.e. seducing into her bed) a monk of about a third her age.

• Jon

While I took no steps to check that what each had told me was true, I had and have no reason to disbelieve either of them. What is your evidence for your claims?

• Rick

I like your last idea Miguel. Go find a country where wandering monks are respected. I was taught that I needed to work to fulfill my desires. That has served me well tor 70 years.

If you feel you need to live that lifestyle I would give it a try. If you don't you will

always wish you had or feel like you have something missing in your life. If you

find out you don't like it you can always leave. Good luck.

Problems to consider:

Hygiene. Depending on where you work, you'll likely need this. But from where? Where will you get water?

Health: Where will you poo? Will it be safe and legal? Again, water?

Legal: Cops will and do bust illegal camp sites. They look for stuff like poo & pee to cite you and make you look bad on arrest papers or citations.

Security: How will you secure your property while away?

Food: Depending on your needs, this will be surprisingly more expensive because you'll have to buy smaller quantities becaus storage will be an issue.

Watch stealth and boondocking videos for what mobile life is like outside of a traditional, house.

Not really..........