YouCanCount asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

Do you qualify for a Psychiatric Service Dog if you've been diagnosed with depression?

Update:

Well, Psychiatric Service Dogs are meant for people with a psychiatric disability or a mental disability. Such as OCD, PTSD, Schizophrenia, Depression, Anxiety, and Bipolar Disorder.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

It depends and how old are you ?

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

No. Being a snowflake doesn't get you a dog.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

I don't know. I'm not your Doctor.

• 11 months ago

Of course you do.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 11 months ago

No. Depression isnt a disability and is treatable.

• 11 months ago

nope...................

• 11 months ago

You qualify if youre disabled.

If your doctor/psychiatrist hasnt deemed you disabled, no you dont.

Is it actually depression? A family doctor isnt the best place to figure out your mental health.

Edit: I dont get whats so hard to understand.

Lv 7
    11 months ago

Unlikely. To have a service dog, you must first of all have a long-term disability as defined by the ADA (not just a condition), and second of all the disabled person must require the assistance of a TASK-TRAINED dog to mitigate that disability and assist the disabled person in performing necessary activities of daily life. Providing comfort, emotional support, companionship, etc., is specifically excluded as a task by the law. Depression frequently does not rise to the level of a long term disability, and also usually does not benefit from a dog performing specific tasks to mitigate it, therefore generally is not something that qualifies someone for a service dog.

• 11 months ago

You might qualify for a comfort animal

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.