Chon asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 months ago

My question is about the military leave/pass system.?

Based on my research, I gather that the leave and the pass are similar but diffent in that the former is granted for some specific types (i.e. such as a sick leave) whereas the latter is granted by the commander if a servicemember does something extraordinary. Is this correct?

Another question is, the leave and pass can be given on a daily basis (i.e. for a day or longer). Related to this, it seems that when soldiers are allowed to take just hours off, not a day or longer, it is processed through a form called 'Leave Pass' which I attached to this question.

I wonder if there is a seperate name - preferably an official one - for time off granted for less than a day.

Thank you from S. Korea.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

AAAAaaaaahhhhhh… NO!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • AJ
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Both passes and leave requests use the same form. As to the reasons you list for the two is entirely false. Normally, passes are given in conjunction with a weekend. However, can be for any reason. A soldier can ask for a 3 or 4 day pass at anytime to do anything like to go cheju for the weekend.

Leave is used whenever a pass wouldn't work like needing a couple of days mid week off.

• Chon8 months agoReport

Thank you!

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

not exactly.   Time off is granted  based on various prerequisites.   a 72 hour or 96 hour stretch of time is not leave and most people call that a Pass( or Liberty in the Navy)  these typically requires nothing more  fancy than a verbal" take the long weekend,  people"  and are most common around federal holidays..and in a few cases..the Super Bowl  when you live in Japan and the game starts at 3 am Monday morning. 

anything longer than that must be classified as leave..either Chargeable or non chargeable.  this also requires paperwork and how far up the chain it must go for approval varies.   my husband had commands that anything up to weeks could be signed off by the DIVO, and some where everything had to  be approved by the CO.  

he's also had commands where the work requirements were quite flexible and it was easy to  come in late, or leave early or take a day 'off' as long as the work was done and it wasn't abused like taking every Friday off .  

• Chon8 months agoReport

Thank you!

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

There are several types of leave in the US military.  The most common is the 30 days a year that everyone earns.  It is basically like vacation time in the civilian world, but instead of being in hours, it is in days and is also charged for days that the person normally wouldn't be working (like weekends and holidays).

Convalescent leave is what would be a 'sick day' in the civilian world.  The big difference is that it is unlimited.  It usually requires that someone be seen by a doctor who recommends time off.  

Passes are something that commanders can give for whatever reason they want.  A person can't be on a pass for more than 96 hours--any longer and they have to use leave time.  Technically any time people get 4 day weekends for a holiday, they are on a pass.  

Servicemembers are on duty 24/7.  A 'workday' could be anything from a couple of hours to the entire day.  They don't clock in and out.  So, if someone needs to run an errand, get a haircut, meet with their kid's teacher, they can, as long as their boss is OK with it. 

• Chon8 months agoReport

Thank you!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

there are no "passes" in the Navy. You get 30 days of leave a year, to use as you see fit.....and all requests to use any of it, must be approved by the chain of command.

If you need half a day for something........that's something you *might* work out with your immediate chain of command, who could give you just a verbal okay.

In my experience, it almost always involved, swapping out a favor...... you can have half the day off, if you stand so and so's watch .

favors are like money, and you never got one for nothing. It Always cost you something.

• Chon8 months agoReport

Thank you!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.