Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

Dough didnt rise?

I followed the recipe exactly but the dough didnt rise and the rolls kind of turned into biscuit like things. It was my first time making any kind of bread other than banana bread so any tips would be great.

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/other-bre...

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Here's what could have gone wrong:

Your yeast was out of date.

You mixed too hot a liquid into the yeast mixture.

You didn't let the dough rest.

You didn't proof the rolls in a warm environment for an hour.

The baking gods hate you for unknown reasons (just kidding, but I've had that thought).

You want to make sure the yeast is alive and well after you mix it with water and sugar. It should foam like crazy in about 10 minutes.. If it doesn't, get new yeast and start over

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It is all in the yeast.

Yeast is a living organism (until you bake the dough, which kills it) .. and its needs are very fussy.

• 8 months ago

There might be 2 problems.

Yeast that was not alive, or most if it was not alive. You can check to see if it is active if you let it sit in the water before you use it, it should get a bit foamy.

The other problem that can cause flat bread is the dough over proofed at some point. That will cause the bread to collapse or not rise at all.

Using water that is to hot, that can kill yeast. Also if you used your food processor to make the dough the blade can generate enough heat to kill off some of the yeast.

• 8 months ago

the only other thing that I can think of that might help, that others did not advise you of is...

When it states -Dissolve the yeast with the 2 tbsp sugar in the luke warm water.

Let the mixture sit until it is quite bubbly or foamy. That means the yeast is well activated.

Hopefully you can let us know if your next batch works better. Thanks.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

It's hard to say but if you really did follow the recipe exactly then these are the only things i can think of:

You used old yeast that was no longer active.

The water you used to activate it was too hot and killed the yeast.

You let the salt come into direct contact with the yeast.

It was too cold for the dough to rise or too hot which killed it.

Added, yes the yeast needs to be frothy, it has to be left for a while.

• 8 months ago

If it didn't rise, then you had some issues somewhere

Main reasons for dough NOT to rise:

1. Yeast stale (and therefore not working as it should). If you used dried yeast - make sure it was in date, if not, bin it

2. Leaving the dough somewhere too warm to rise (would kill the yeast)

3. Leaving the dough somewhere too cold (won't activate the yeast to work)

Yeast likes a sort of luke warm temp !

making bread can be tricky if you don't get everything spot on - a case of trial and error and a few attempts

Source(s): Made bread / cakes for 30 years plus
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.