Quiz: What was The Beatles ONLY Instrumental?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Most people think that the only instrumental track they released as The Beatles was the tune "Flying", from the Magical Mystery Tour film. It was released in the U.K. on the extended player & in N. America on the album of the same name at the end of 1967. However, they also recorded an outtake version of the tune called "Aerial Tour Instrumental that wasn't released.

They recorded "12-Bar Original" in 1965, that wasn't released until the 1996 "Anthology 2" album.

They recorded "Cayenne" in April '60 when still known as "The Quarrymen", that wasn't released until 1995 on the "Anthology" album. It features Stu Sutcliffe playing a sloppy bass track.

They recorded "Cry For A Shadow" on 22 Jun. '61 in the gym of Friedrich Ebert Halle in the Harburg district of Hamburg, Germany while performing as "The Beat Brothers" in support of Tony Sheridan as he recorded an album. This was just days after Stu Sutcliffe quit the band. It's one of only two officially released Beatles

singles that has Pete Best on drums when it was released in 1964. It also appears on the 1995 "Anthology" album.

In future, if people insist on posing "questions", it'd really be nice if they got their facts right.

• ...Show all comments
    • Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Andy, MANY instrumentals have a chanted or sung vocal chorus that isn't lyrics. A song requires words - lyrics. "Cry" also has "shouts" by McCartney that emulate those done by "Jet" Harris, as the tune is an homage to the instrumentals done by Cliff Richards' backing band, The Shadows.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

The Beatles Wiki on FANDOM lists two released instrumentals, both already noted above; "Cry For a Shadow", their pastiche of the Shadows (released on several "Beatles featuring Tony Sheridan" compilations) and "Flying" (aka "Aerial Tour Instrumental") from "Magical Mystery Tour".

• Robert8 months agoReport

Incidentally, "Cry For a Shadow" is their only track the composition of which is credited to all four of them.

• John
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

There is voice but actually no lyric - Ringo (sounds like) singing La, la, la lala...... So I would call it instrumental, myself.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

The melody of the tune on Flying is done by all four Beatles.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It was Flying, which I can't actually remember hearing.

Added, apparently I'm wrong. I'd really like to know. I assume it has to have been released otherwise there was a tune called something like Cry for a Shadow that they played live.

Added, I see Killmousekey has already said that!

• ...Show all comments
    • Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Andy: Flying is classed as an instrumental as there are no lyrics. That's the same with "Cry ..." - it had some shouts by McCartney. It was the only title credited to Lennon & Harrison, was basically their homage to Cliff Richards' backing band, The Shadows. It was quite like Shadows stuff.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Flying from the Magical Mystery Tour album.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.