Anonymous

How do I actually get work experience in TV production?

I’m starting my second year of university next week and we need to get 3 weeks work experience in TV. I have been researching and applying to big and small companies but not heard anything back. How do I get work experience?

This is something your professors are supposed to line up for you, using their local contacts. NO ONE is going to hire anyone for that short of a term. Not buying your tale. 

• Pam

That is a very competitive industry and I'm shocked that your school expects you to find 3 week of experience on your own with no placement services. Ask your counselor what to do or they have any resources or connections with the local tv stations. I can't imagine that they don't. Good luck!

Applying huh?? Offer to intern for free.

There are a bunch of websites used to hire people in the production industry, look them up and skip the big names in staffing...focus on the production specific ones (I don't endorse anyone on this website). You probably will not find a 3 week job, but I bet you can work as a PA on some short term shoots...adding up to 3 weeks. You will learn a lot more working a variety of PA jobs than you will just working for a studio or whatever for 3 weeks.

It might come down to public access TV.

offer to intern for FREE.

• ?

Talk to your professors. Im sure youre not the first student who's struggled to find a placement, and they probably have all sorts of contacts who routinuely do short internships for students

• Andy C

Ask your teacher.

We have a local cable channel that offers many volunteer positions. Have you checked around to see if you have one in your area?