Patato asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 months ago

Any meal replacement bar/shake suggestions?

Hi! This isn't for any specific diet reason. I'm just a very busy college student, and 2 days a week i get incredibly hungry because i'm running across campus from class to class from 10-5 with basically no downtime between them. Big breakfast doesn't seem to cut it.

I'm not really experienced with meal replacement bars and i see so many of them online. I can't tell which ones are for bodybuilders, weight loss, or just plain-old meal replacements. I'm just looking for something that's nutritional, tasty, convenient, and won't break the bank.

Thanks!

There is nothing magical about these. "Weight loss" bars often aren't, and "bodybuilding" bars usually have more protein.  You are looking for both calories to fuel your body and brain, and some "bulk" so you don't feel hungry.  That means you can eat just about any bar you like and can afford.

Bars that are high is carbohydrates and sugar are usually a lot cheaper than those that have a lot of protein -- because wheat and corn syrup are cheaper than protein.  I'd suggest you try a few different brands and amounts of protein and see which ones you enjoy and deliver the desired results.  

Some that are fairly low in sugar but are not super high in protein include Premier Protein, Quest, Luna, Zone Perfect, Power Bars (regular and protein), Cliff, and Kind.  Read the labels and see whether you do better eating more protein or something that  has more grain.  

• Logan

Meal replacement bars will not have enough fat, carbs or total calories. If you are in shape and working out you likely need 3000 to 4000 calories a day. I have 3 balanced meals a day (each meal has grain, vegetable, meat/eggs, fruit and dairy) plus a post workout meal (whole milk, whey protein, dextrose, fudge, banana) and an evening snack (oatmeal, peanut butter, whey protein and whole milk).

Preparing meals does not have to be time consuming, especially if you get into the rhythm of making the same set of meal everyday. Cooking meats in a cast-iron skillet only take a few minutes. Cooking fresh vegetables including diced sweet potatoes only takes 3 to 4 minutes in a microwave. Rice and quinoa, take 20 minutes, but you can make several days worth at a time.

• Tavy

Ask a pharmacist.