what's the meaning of "looked favorably upon him"?

Hi,

someone was talking about a student and said,

"he became the model student, and it seems that the teacher's looked favorably upon him."

I'm not familiar with the expression "looked favorably upon him" does it mean he became the teacher's favorite student?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It means the teacher(s) like the student very much, and may also mean that student is like the teacher's pet (favorite), but that latter aspect is not universally common.

• 2 months ago

look upon is a bit archaic (an older way of saying "look at" or perceive). It means look at, judge, to have an opinion about a thing. The judgement aspect is intentional. Like a judge or royalty up high looking down upon a peon. look upon means to judge from a distance, and implies judging from "above", which is probably why it fell into disuse.

I look at that as a good thing, I see that student and I think he is a good person and a good student. I hold a good opinion of that student, I look favorably at the actions of that student, I regard the student positively, I think good things about that student.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"teachers" is without the apostrophe as a plural of teacher

Either you read it incorrectly, wrote it incorrectly, or typographical error in a written sentence

In a verbal it does sound the same.

favorably means with approval, the belief that someone or something is good or acceptable

"looked favorably upon him" and "thought well of him" and "approved of him" mean the same thing

It is not a statement of single (one) teacher's favorite student.

teacher's is ownership by a teacher.

The sun shone brightly upon him.

It is a poetic way to say it is sunny if literal or he is fortunate and lucky as a poetic statement.

• Bob
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Not necessarily the teacher's favorite but simply that the teacher had a positive opinion of the student.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.