Can my employer make me work 5 consecutive 8 hour days if Im only part time?

I just started a part time, seasonal, job, but I also have school. because of that I cant work two days out of the week. I work from yesterday 'til Monday, all 8 hour shifts. The week starts over again so it isnt technically over my state's legal limit of 34 hours a week, but its 40 hours consecutively. Are they still allowed to do that?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Sandy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

they can if you let them. you're a student with limited means, so it's unlikely you'll sue your employer. put your foot down and tell your employer you can only work certain days. if you have to, call in on the days they schedule you that you said you couldn't work. if you don't say anything, they will continue to abuse you. if they won't fix the scheduling, quit. that's ALWAYS your ace-in-the-hole!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

When I was in high school I worked seven days a week, 6PM to 6AM, from February to June. If you have a problem with it, contact your state labor department.

• 8 months ago

Yes, they can do that.

• 8 months ago

If you are a minor you are usually limited to a 6 hour day any day that you also attend school. If you aren't a minor, or on vacation from school, no laws are being broken.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.