Is this illegal and can this person press charges;?

A friend of mine broke up with their girlfriend, who kept their dog. she then decided to sell the dog for free but wouldn't give the dog to my friend out of spite. so i picked up the dog saying my sister would be keeping it. there was no paperwork or money, and i have texts to prove it was willing. but now she found out my friend has the dog and is threatening to "press charges" if we don't bring it back.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favourite answer

No charges to press, she willingly gave the dog up.

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Return the dog to its rightful owner

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Stop gettting involved with idiots! She nor any individual can 'press charges' that is the job of a prosecutor ....

• 11 months ago

She can't press charges. It would be a civil issue in which she wouldn't prevail.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 11 months ago

Let her try. She's bluffing.

• y
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Let her do her thing, save your texts.

• marty
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

There's absolutely nothing she can do.

• 11 months ago

No. No laws have been broken here.

The dog, if you say it was "theirs" be;longed to both of them.

Technically, SHE broke the law y selling the dog without his permission. It was jointly owned, and he could have taken her to court for ownership.

As it was you didn't lie, but you did deceive by omission. But she was not harmed, so there is nothing to prosecute.

The fact that you then gave the dog back to one of its owners is not illegal at all. If anything, it was setting things right.

The only way to press charges here would be if she did so privately. If she effectively sued. But to do that she would need to prove that she was somehow damaged by this action.

She wasn't. So there is no case, and it'll be thrown out of court.

DAMAGES are what matter.

• 11 months ago

Can either of them provide paperwork proving the dog belongs to them? Maybe a veterinarian's receipt or an ID chip? If not, the dog belongs to whoever has possession of it. She can try to press charges, but without evidence that he stole it or it belongs solely to her, she isn't going to get very far in the legal system and it will cost her court and attorneys fees. So let her "sue" him. By the time she discovers how much it will cost to get her revenge, she should have decided it isn't worth the effort.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

if no paperwork exchanged hands, it's her word against yours. tell her to go pound sand.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.