Hi I’m 19 years old and my parents took my car keys?

Hi I’m 19 years old almost 20. The car is in my name and I pay for the insurance. The finance agreement is also in my own name. My dad is the guarantor . I’ve been trying to leave the house permanently I want to pack my things and leave. In my car. They have also locked the front door so I can’t leave. Can I call the police and get my car back?

Thank you

Guarantors have no rights unless you fail to make a payment. So long as the title is in your name, it is your car. Taking your keys away amounts to theft.

If he has locked you in the house, this is false imprisonment.

• Mark

How do you "lock the front door so you can't leave the house?" Troll tip: houses usually have BACK doors, too, and windows.

• will2 months agoReport

There is no front access from the back of the house.

• ron h

You can call the police if you really can't get out of the house. 

If the title has dad's name, then iti his car. Not the registration. Ot the insurance, not the loan. The title.

• will3 months agoReport

Hi the car is in my name basically registered to me. The “title” is in my name

They have also locked the front door so I can’t leave.

I actually believed you until you told that FLAT OUT LIE. If they even HAVE a lock that prevents you from going OUT, there is NO WAY they allow you access to anything capable of posting to Yahoo Answers.

If you call the police, you WILL be convicted of filing a false report.

• will2 months agoReport

I called the police by the way and I got my car keys back and also moved out. Up yours for your ignorant answer

Who holds TITLE to the car?

Yes, call the Police.

• Tavy

The car is yours even though dad is guarantor. Inthe UK this is false imprisonment , you are an adult being kept against your will.

Yes call the police.

UK

Do whatever it takes to get out.

I am 50 years old.

When I was 19 I tried to leave home in a car that was mine.

My dad took my car keys and called me stupid three times.

To this day he is still paying for my room and board.

Who's stupid now?

• STEVEN F

You are not 50, you are PROBABLY not even 19.

What about the spare key? What did you do with the second set of car keys? ------- "Just slip out the back, Jack! Make a new plan, Sta, you don't need to be coy, Roy! You just listen to me! Hop on the bus, Gus! There's no need to discuss much! Just drop off the (house) key, Lee! And set yourself free!"

"The finance is in my name".. Then the car os NOT in your name.

If dad is the guarantor then he has rights to take over the car if you are nit making the payments.

Police are going to tell you this is a civil matter.

• will2 months agoReport

The police also said he has no right to actually take the car even though father is guarantor