Metal fans: What is the greatest metal band of all time in your opinion?

In my opinion, Metallica and Pantera are the greatest.

• Betty

Led Zeppelin...........

• Huh?

In terms of musical legacy and influence, Black Sabbath.

In terms of being my favourite metal band: the mighty Motörhead.

I agree with your opinion

Sabbath

Slipknot

Rammstein

Tool

Alice In Chains

To name a few

1981-1989 Metallica

I mean, there are probably a hundred metal bands I'd prefer to listen to, but you asked for 'the greatest', so I gave an honest answer.

Consider this: If somebody claimed to be a 'huge metalhead', and had never heard any of the classic Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Slayer, Iron Maiden (so on, so forth) albums in their entirety, it would be like "Oh, they're pretty good, mate! I recommend a listen."

Now, if somebody had never listened to every single 80's Metallica album and didn't know every single lyric by heart and didn't secretly think Metallica was 19 times better than Megadeth (but never admitted to it, by God), then would you really have any respect for that person?

• Robert J

I've never rated Metallica, but I'm always open to new view, so I've just had a listen to some metallica from what you say are their best years.
      Sorry, but they suck...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lgd890cFtA

It's noise with no teamwork as a band and no depth to the content; no coherence..

• Andrew

My favourite band of all time is Mercyful Fate, with King Diamond being a fairly close second. Rounding out the top 5 would be Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

But "the greatest" and "my favourite" are two very different things. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are the greatest Heavy Metal bands of all time. It's not up to me or you to decide that, it's simply a fact. They're the three most innovative, most influential and most iconic Heavy Metal bands in the history of the genre, end of story. Metallica released some good records, possibly even a great one, but they've never been consistent in terms of quality or style and they haven't released an album that might even be considered mediocre for almost 30 years, never mind a great record, so to suggest that they deserve to be anywhere near the top of the list is laughable. Every band has one or two clunkers - Sabbath, Priest and Maiden included, but Metallica doesn't have a legacy anywhere near as legendary.

To propose that Pantera might somehow qualify to make it on to the list of even the 100 greatest metal bands of all time is just a ridiculous statement. They were a shitty glam band for years, then decided to brand themselves as some sort of Texas hardcore - thrash hybrid, a formula that served them well on "Cowboys From Hell", but got old very quickly. All their songs sound the same, they showed zero progression or growth musically and their records are rubbish compared to heaps of other bands.

Metallica and Pantera are safe, friendly, approachable, non-threatening bands whose fan base primarily consists of blokes under 25 who take comfort in the easily digestible and simplistic songs they churn out, chaps who aren't mature enough to appreciate the talent demonstrated by bands like Amorphis for example.

To be "the greatest", you can't just be a band that a few people like. You've got to be a band that defines an era, that spurred on 10,000 other bands to follow in your footsteps, a band that other musicians point to and say "We wouldn't be here if it weren't for them."

Metal would be doing just as well as it is now if Metallica or Pantera had never existed. But without the Big Three, it wouldn't have gone anywhere.

• Lv 5

I must disagree dude of Pantera being better than COC. Sure, Corrosion Of Conformity was better que Panters in 1983 when Pantera was playing glam metal and COC was a hardcore band, but once we start reaching Power Metal, Cowboys From Hell, and Vulgar Display, Pantera runs many circles around COC.

Black Sabbath; no others come close.

Agalloch, may not even be true but i've a mistycal connction with them. Altar of Plagues, also (currently, Agalloch are at the beginning, like Metallica first five albums, all of Tool, only Opiate is not a masterpiece for me, but it's still nice). In a while the new Blut aus Nord comes out and I hope it brings their back to being my favorites (last album was their worst). Candlemass. Bathory. Entombed. Carcass.

• ch3m15try

instead, or they are appreciated until Master, or till today (something really impossible).

**Black Sabbath**

Yes I am a good model