A compound is soluble in ether at room temp but not very soluble at -80 deg C. Is ether a good crystallization solvent for the compound?

This is a post lab question in an Organic Chemistry lab. We need to explain if and why ether would make a good solvent in this scenario. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t, but I can’t exactly come up with a straight explanation. I know the rule is a compound needs to be fairly soluble in a hot solvent and much less... show more This is a post lab question in an Organic Chemistry lab. We need to explain if and why ether would make a good solvent in this scenario. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t, but I can’t exactly come up with a straight explanation. I know the rule is a compound needs to be fairly soluble in a hot solvent and much less soluble in cold solvent. But does the fact that the solute dissolves at room temp affect how practical it would be to use ether as a solvent?
1 answer 1