Can you get arrested for simply having a minor argument with a off-duty sheriff?

So while at work, there was a guy and an off-duty sheriff, who's a regular at our restaurant. They got into a minor argument, like who was in line first, not that big a deal. Next thing you know, he tells the guy he's a sheriff, and goes out to his truck to get his badge. He then proceeds to put the guy's hands behind his back and walks him out the restaurant towards his truck. I work the lobby area with a couple other people and their argument wasn't loud enough for us to hear, we just happened to see him walk him out. We are watching from the inside, confused as to why he's getting arrested. The sheriff proceeds to go through his pockets and it just looks like they're still arguing. We got back to work & next thing u know, he's on the ground, his beanie is off and his shoes. I check on them later and now he's in a sitting position and the sheriff called some people to come get him. Two sheriff cars pull up and they take him. Was this necessary? I was scared to ask questions bc I didn't want to get involved and get arrested too. I was seriously thinking that bc I didn't, and the rest of the people I was working with, see any reason for that guy to get arrested.

Unless he made a threat, no. You should not get arrested. I'm sure the guy would be very appreciative if you filed a report against the officer. If an officer is personally involved in an incident that officer may void his immunity from personal liability. The DA would basically make the call on whether to even defend the officer if he were to be sued in that situation.

• No

But you witnessed the officer abusing his power in a personal dispute. So, you should file a report as a witness.

• Adam

Truthfully, you should have stepped in as a witness once the other officers arrived. A verbal argument should never lead to an arrest if no threats were made. Think of if this way... if you and I had a verbal argument out in public, neither you or I can arrest each other and send the other to jail because we felt disrespected. Why should an officer have that special ability? Now, some idiot may say "no, it's none of your business", but that does NOT apply to situations like these. You were in fact a witness, and it was your duty to say something. You can never be in the wrong for using your freedom of speech. When one persons' freedoms get infringed upon, everyone's' freedoms get infringed upon, because that could easily be you next time -- and every time an infaction like this occurs, it becomes more and more likely to happen again. The saying goes... "those who can do something, should do something".

It's all forgiven now, but just remember for next time.

And that kiddies was your bed time fairy story from Good Old Uncle utter Bol~locks!

He probably barely grazed against the pig, and the pig got him for aoapo (assault on a police officer) but it didn't matter who deserves to go to jail, just three the a. O. (Arresting officer) can make up a very very well cause for his actions, who's gonna stop em, certainly not civilians. 

• james

Its America were so much as speaking to you gets you beat & framed. Lucky he was not gunned down like a dog in there sight. You need not argue with them just speak to a American cop they go mental. Often just being in there sight is enough to set one off. Been there survived that. & had them come back to murder me to save there cop buddie. So yes they do get away with it.

There is SOMETHING missing from your story.

If it happened as you describe, the DEPUTY (There is ONE Sheriff in a county and they RARELY leave the office) would be unemployed by the end of the week.

I would recommend that you do the RIGHT THING.  And if you believe that the Sheriff misused his power and falsely arrested this man, then contact his superiors and tell them what you witnessed.  And if legal in your area, either video or audio tape your complaint, or put everything in writing.   Think of it this way, if you or a loved one was arrested in this way, knowing that you or they did not do anything illegal, wouldn't you want the witnesses to stand up for what's right and do the right thing?  I know I would.  If people let sheriffs get away with false power hungry arrests, then guaranteed the sheriffs will falsely arrest other people too.

• P & W8 months agoReport

Its Legal Everywhere in US  to videotape with sound any police action outside of the actual stationhouse or jail. USSC upheld it as 1st amendment.

• `

You don't know the context of their argument. Perhaps the person threatened the officer.

• Bruce

Either there is more to the story or that deputy is going to have a very unpleasant conversation with the Sheriff.

• P & W8 months agoReport

Not necessarily. Sheriff might commend  him for removing a hippy weirdo.,Small towns Suck.

It could have been an under cover operation.

You just don’t know.

And probably never will....

• STEVEN F

It COULD NOT have been an undercover operation. If it were, the Deputy would not have identified themself.